ABS traction control Problem

Jay, does your truck have traction control or ABS? If not, then don't be concerned. You won't have the problem.

The gen2 I am looking after may have both?

The abs was a bit strange this past winter
But found the caliper missing a slide pin! Which might explain it

I believe toyota used abs as an option in a 97 tacoma. It would show with a abs dash light if you have it. I seriously doubt if it even has traction control. As far as traction control that started with the gen2's around 2009, or 10.

Last edited:
Traction Control is an adaptation of the ABS. If it senses a wheel with a different rotation speed than the other wheels, it will apply the brake on that wheel. Traction Control senses the faster wheel speed to apply the brake to that "fast" wheel.

If your ABS "was a bit strange" without the ABS warning light illuminating, then the issue is with the driver. The system was functioning normally.

The brake pads were found loosey goosey without the top slide pin
A pounding sensation in the pedal and steering wheel when the abs went active in the snowy
I did not notice an abs warning light but my eye were on that snowpack ahead and the red light ahead down the hill I was sliding down into.

If the truck has either abs, or traction control, you'll know it at some point during winter with abs...the brake pedal will be pulsing during sudden stops, or the traction control led flashing in your dash when you start spinning a tire. I can tell you I hated traction control so much, I turned it off in my tacoma.

Back