07 Tacoma vibrations.

Adam Peterson

Hey guys,
I’ve got an 07 Tacoma and I’ve developed a vibration when accelerating and decelerating. Once I’m at a steady speed it goes away. If I take my foot off the gas at highway speed it vibrates and if I step on the brake it’s worse. It feels like a drive shaft/ u-joint thing. Carrier bearing had a bit of play so I changed it and the u-joints were all good but the problem is still there. Anybody got any suggestions?

Hey guys,
I’ve got an 07 Tacoma and I’ve developed a vibration when accelerating and decelerating. Once I’m at a steady speed it goes away. If I take my foot off the gas at highway speed it vibrates and if I step on the brake it’s worse. It feels like a drive shaft/ u-joint thing. Carrier bearing had a bit of play so I changed it and the u-joints were all good but the problem is still there. Anybody got any suggestions?

I have an 07 and mine has been doing the same thing. It’s ur U joints forsure! I just replaced mine and it’s running primo again.

Well, you were right, u-joints. I checked them all three times. They seemed fine, no grinding, they moved smoothly so I didn’t even consider it. I figured it’s a cheap fix if that’s it so I tried. The rear joint was rusted an worn, swapped all of them out and it’s all good now.

Well, you were right, u-joints. I checked them all three times. They seemed fine, no grinding, they moved smoothly so I didn’t even consider it. I figured it’s a cheap fix if that’s it so I tried. The rear joint was rusted an worn, swapped all of them out and it’s all good now.

I've seen that a few times myself. They seem fine but aren't, and replacing them solved the issue.
I did it last year for a friend of mine on her pickup. Two shops told her they couldn't find the problem, so i started with replacing the ujoints and greasing the slip yoke, problem solved.

Got the same issue. What u-joints did you get and from where? Thanks

I really like Moog, and you can order them off Amazon, or go to almost any parts store, most carry Moog, as they are a major parts source for front ends and drive lines.

Ps. It is worth the extra 2 bucks to get the greasable ones if they have the two options of not greasable or greasable.
And before you remove the drive shaft, take some chalk and draw a line down the bottom of it from end to end for two reasons. When putting it back in the line at the bottom again tells you it is still in phase, unless or course you moved the truck or if on a hoist you spun the tires turning the differential pinion. It is important to put the drive shaft back in the same way it came out, not out of phase. Also while you have the drive shaft out, pull the slip joint out and grease the splines, and realign the chalk marks when sliding back together.

Last edited:
Awesome, great info, thanks! What kind of grease should I get? Also, should I get a grease gun? Also also, how often should I grease the u-joints?

Thanks again!

A grease gun is vital part of any shop, and for tight areas a needle to go on the end of it is a handly little accessory to buy as well, and not expensive. I like the ones that just easily slip on or off the regular fittings on the end of the hose. As i prefer a longer hose I screw two hoses together, but it isn't required, just my preference as a grumpy old guy. As for grease anything for basic automotive or powersports use will work fine. I like something somewhat waterproof myself, so tend to use a white colored grease that is more waterproof than regular grease, but any general automotive grease is better than not greasing. You only need a special job specific grease more if you are doing wheel bearings lets say. If you still wonder what specific grease i like, I use Chevron Ultra Duty EP grease. But I use it for everything from automobiles, to greasing my snowmobiles, motorcycles, boats, and more. But again any good brand of general purpose automotive grease will do. Do not get to hung up on the brand name, or type. If you really wonder, you can ask me about a specific grease and i will respond saying yay or nay.
Or just ask the counter person at your favorite auto parts for a few tubes of grease for front ends and ujoints and that sort of thing. Basically your truck will only ever need two types of grease, regular grease for everything but wheel bearings, and actually wheel bearing grease on those. If you are not comfortable going to an auto parts store or ordering off Amazon which is what I do half the time, you can go to your Toyota dealer and buy the new ujoints there...but lube your butt before going because they will bend you over, and its going to hurt...not foreplay or friendly reach around either.
Not that OEM parts are bad, I just like Moog more, and generally cheaper than the dealership.

I’ll go with Moog and get the same grease you use and completely avoid the dealership! I love user serviceable parts and prefer not getting bent over at the dealership.

Sounds like a possible carrier bearing. Unless that’s what your referring to when you say “U-Joint”. I also replaced all Joints with Moog greaseable’s. Best decision as long as you grease them depending on truck use/wear & Tear.

Back