1st Gen Rewiring Help

Garrett Remde

Hey,
First post here and fairly new to Tacoma's so please excuse my lack of knowledge.
In dire need of help with some wiring questions I have.

Long story short, I bought a used 2000 Tacoma 2.7L 4cyl 4x4 manual transmission and it turns out that original owner (Im 3rd owner) hacked into the wiring pretty bad and I almost had a flaming vehicle while driving down the road about a month back. Never thought to look at dash wiring when buying it so I feel pretty stupid for being stuck with this problem but basically I am in need of replacing the:
Dash Wiring Harness
Dash Fuse Box
Engine Wiring Harness
Engine Fuse Box

Ive been scouring craigslist and wrecking yards looking for a fit but its been a pain to find something compatible.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I need a 1998-2004 tacoma to start with, and it has to be a 4x4 and manual transmission either way.
My biggest question is how much different is a 6cyl harness from a 4 cyl and would that be something that could be used?
Also, what year Tacoma's would be compatible by having those same wiring harnesses?
I understand this is a very specific issue but if anyone knows the answers or knows where I could find them that would be great.
Thanks.

Back