2003 Tacoma Manual shift problem

I'm pretty new to the Tacoma so I'm not sure if it's a common issue or not. When I shift from 3rd to 4th it always hits the 4x4 shifter and try's to engage it into 4hi. I even took the knob of of the 4x4 shifter. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what are some fixes? Thank you!

That's what I call the Dukes of Hazard feature... Your truck lets you know when it's time to hit the dirt and outrun the cops

That is a very strange problem. Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you. Try taking the boots off the shifters, and looking at their bases. Then see if their bases are loose and make sure everything is screwed down.

It's like the shifters are to close together. The 4x4 shifter seems like it's directly under the trans shifter. It's slightly to the bottom left of it. It's almost impossible to change from 3rd to 4th with the 4x4 knob on the shifter itself. I took both boots off yesterday but haven't really had a chance to inspect everything really good! I did order a new shifter seat and cap because I heard that helps smooth out the shifting.i just bought the truck a few days ago so I'm trying to work out all the kinks it has.

Okay James,
I have done some research for you. My wife and I have an old 1999 Tacoma Extra-Cab SR5 4x4 V6 with a 5-Speed manual transmission, which we use as our house repair truck so it is a very useful tool. Yesterday, I got in the driver's seat of our Tacoma and looked at the location of both shifters, which will give you a basis on how they should sit. When the transfer case was in 2 wheel drive, and I went through all of the gears on the transmission, the closest the transmission lever came to the transfer case lever is about an inch when shifting from 4th gear to 5th gear. The transmission lever does not make and should not make any contact with the transfer case lever at all.
What drivetrain and engine are in your Tacoma?

I found all of the specs on the truck, maybe this will explain it! I know it has the 3.4 V6.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    200.6 KB · Views: 15
I'm also trying to buy the rubber guard/cover that goes between the engine and the front shocks to protect the motor from debris. I need both the left and right. Do you have any idea what those are called?

James,
First of all, did you get transfer case lever repaired yet? The rubber guard you are referring to is probably called the front side undercarriage skirt.

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile, we have been really busy at work! This is the first weekend I have had off in over a month. So I got home today and took everything apart. The truck has a 3in body lift and when I was looking at both the transmission and transfer case shifter it looks as those they have been cut and welded back together adding 3in to each! I'm assuming the angles on them are not correct. What is a solution to this? I can buy two new shifters but will they work properly with that 3in body lift or what should I do? Thanks

Okay James,
You do have a problem because the new shifters will be for a Tacoma with stock height so they will not work on your Tacoma. You might have to ask yourself if you will be using your rig for a hard core trail rig where you can take advantage of the 3 inch body lift. If you are not, you might want to get rid of the lift. If you are, you are probably going to have to search out a four wheel drive shop that knows how to custom deal with this kind of dilemma.
Good Luck James.
P.S. Send me a message with your phone number.

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile, we have been really busy at work! This is the first weekend I have had off in over a month. So I got home today and took everything apart. The truck has a 3in body lift and when I was looking at both the transmission and transfer case shifter it looks as those they have been cut and welded back together adding 3in to each! I'm assuming the angles on them are not correct. What is a solution to this? I can buy two new shifters but will they work properly with that 3in body lift or what should I do? Thanks

Maybe one of the levers can be heated and bent to avoid interference?

Before you do any cutting and or bending check the shifter bushings. When they go bad the shifter does weird stuff. The first to go is the flat piece that fits under the shifter ball. The nylon or what ever exotic material they use I replace at the same time. Once replaced the shift pattern tightens up a lot. I had to do that on both the Wife's 95 with 148,000 and my 98 that has 268,000

Back