2013 Tacoma air(smog) pump question.

yqtszhj

Hi, first post here. I just picked up a used 2013 Tacoma Access cab with 50k miles for a really good price and have a question since finding out after hearing the pump when turning the engine off it has that smog pump. After reading on this forum about the smog pump on the more recent Tacomas I was wondering if anyone has seen any recent trend of pumps failing on 2013 or later? I noticed it seemed chronic on the 2012 models but I don’t read about the same continuous issues on the 2013 or more recent models. The Tacoma pump doesn’t sound bad or rough, you just hear it for a second when turned off. I’ve got 6 weeks on the original warranty left so if theres an issue with this or any other powertrain problem I can likely still get it fixed which made the purchase more appealing. My 2011 4Runner and 2006 Tundra don’t have it so this is new to me. Any new information available would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, first post here. I just picked up a used 2013 Tacoma Access cab with 50k miles for a really good price and have a question since finding out after hearing the pump when turning the engine off it has that smog pump. After reading on this forum about the smog pump on the more recent Tacomas I was wondering if anyone has seen any recent trend of pumps failing on 2013 or later? I noticed it seemed chronic on the 2012 models but I don’t read about the same continuous issues on the 2013 or more recent models. The Tacoma pump doesn’t sound bad or rough, you just hear it for a second when turned off. I’ve got 6 weeks on the original warranty left so if theres an issue with this or any other powertrain problem I can likely still get it fixed which made the purchase more appealing. My 2011 4Runner and 2006 Tundra don’t have it so this is new to me. Any new information available would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. I’m not aware of any known issues.

If you search tw, you'll find some install a small unifilter on the intake of the fan, keeps large bugs etc from hitting the fan breaking the tiny fins. From what I've read 2012 was the worst with problems, I have a 2013 with no issues. Did install filter.

Thanks to all for the replies. I saw the info about installing the unifilter and plan to do that right away. There is good information on this forum and I look forward to learning about my new vehicle. I pretty much fix everything myself that is perferial to the engine but with Toyota’s my experience has been that I don’t get much practice because they don’t break very often. Thanks again for the information.

Welcome to the forum. The noise the pump makes is normal. You can always take it to the dealer and see what they say.

secondary air turns on at start up and engine shutdown, valves will fail and give you a code P2442, P2443
and when your out of warranty, toyota will turn their back at you and tell you there is no outstanding recall, tsb etc, means your not covered

Back