2013 Tacoma DualCab TRD shocks

dbergman303

I have a 2013 Double cab TRD. Mostly use it on Highway maybe 5% off road and drive our lovely 3 miles of washboards to get into and out of my ranch to pavement to go anywhere. Have 77776 mile on her and now and have leaking shocks. Before I go buy standard shocks, what options should I consider?

I have a 2013 Double cab TRD. Mostly use it on Highway maybe 5% off road and drive our lovely 3 miles of washboards to get into and out of my ranch to pavement to go anywhere. Have 77776 mile on her and now and have leaking shocks. Before I go buy standard shocks, what options should I consider?

You need shocks with bypasses to help keep them cool and stop shock fade on the washboards. I hear a "flutter stack" valving also helps.
I'd call downsouth Motorsports and give them a budget, tell them your needs, your evironment, and ask if Sonny can custom valve them for you.

They have the best customer support I've ever known, they send parts all over the world, rebuild shocks, and Sonny is a good guy in general. I've seen some of their test hits in the desert thru high speed rythm sections on YouTube, and even a guy in Iceland doing the crazy ass Icelandic formula off-road Hill climbs with shocks that Sonny built.

Normally free shipping too.

https://downsouthmotorsports.com

Last edited:
You need shocks with bypasses to help keep them cool and stop shock fade on the washboards. I hear a "flutter stack" valving also helps.
I'd call downsouth Motorsports and give them a budget, tell them your needs, your evironment, and ask if Sonny can custom valve them for you.

They have the best customer support I've ever known, they send parts all over the world, rebuild shocks, and Sonny is a good guy in general. I've seen some of their test hits in the desert thru high speed rythm sections on YouTube, and even a guy in Iceland doing the crazy ass Icelandic formula off-road Hill climbs with shocks that Sonny built.

Great advice

I will have to remember them. The prices look very reasonable

I asked about a setup for my buddies t4r (within budget given) and got a response complete with custom valving specs, spring rates, shock bodies, and reasons why that setup was chosen.

I've dealt with Sonny and Marco when Marco was still there many times. They don't stumble, guess, or bullshit ya. They also have never pushed expensive items in order to make more on a sale.
I know there's many other places who have come to light over the last 5ish years, but most of them have no way near the amount of experience in building shocks from the ground up. They may suggest stacks based on what they were told.
Sonny and the DSM crew have hands on experience with every part involved in suspension and know how to tune them based on years of work with race teams and tuning their own rigs and using them well beyond the weekend mall warriors that most companies are.

It's like taking your vehicle to a transmission shop for trans work vs taking your vehicle to a quick lube place and getting a bottle of trans fix dumped in.

Back