2017 Tacoma stumble and message

Pete Moss

New to the forums so I hope I am posting this in the proper section.

I have a 2017 SR5 and it has been great. I have a little over 10k on it and hitting my 18th month of ownership. I read of others having occasional issues where the trans shifts kind of wonky but overall mine has been okay and I only notice it once in a while where like after a U turn for example it seems to be taking a while to hunt for a gear.

Tonight however it did something unusual 2 times. After a start and pulling out onto the road it would have a really hard stumble... almost a stall and then drive fine. I noticed there was some message coming up on the cluster screen but it would go away before I could fully make out what it said.

The message is in yellow and seems to say something about the accelerator and I think there is an image of an accelerator in the message but again it goes away too fast to make it out and I can't seem to replicate it at will.

Since I am bringing it in soon for the 18 month service I would like to see if they can look into this but I am curious if anyone here knows what that message actually indicates or says and what is causing that harsh stumble.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

Mine stumbles accelerating like after slowing down for a speed bump. So far a computer reset didn’t help. Interested to see if you get a fix. Keep us informed.

New to the forums so I hope I am posting this in the proper section.

I have a 2017 SR5 and it has been great. I have a little over 10k on it and hitting my 18th month of ownership. I read of others having occasional issues where the trans shifts kind of wonky but overall mine has been okay and I only notice it once in a while where like after a U turn for example it seems to be taking a while to hunt for a gear.

Tonight however it did something unusual 2 times. After a start and pulling out onto the road it would have a really hard stumble... almost a stall and then drive fine. I noticed there was some message coming up on the cluster screen but it would go away before I could fully make out what it said.

The message is in yellow and seems to say something about the accelerator and I think there is an image of an accelerator in the message but again it goes away too fast to make it out and I can't seem to replicate it at will.

Since I am bringing it in soon for the 18 month service I would like to see if they can look into this but I am curious if anyone here knows what that message actually indicates or says and what is causing that harsh stumble.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

You may be activating the brake override system by accidentally hitting the brake and gas at the same time.
It seems like it would be impossible but if you’re slowing down for a speed bump, pull out, etc. you may have hit both.
The fact that the warning in the information center came on and went away so fast makes me think that’s what it is.
Either way, have it looked at and diagnosed since it’s under warranty.

Well it has not happened again and had never happened before in the year and 1/2 I owned the truck. So if it was me stepping on both the brake and gas at the same time by accident it would be odd it only happened twice and on the same night. But, it is a possibility..I recall pulling the floor mat down because I thought that might have been it. Maybe it was laying on the brake or more likely the gas pedal.

If the events are stored maybe I can pull them up with my scan tool but I will mention it to the dealer when it is in for its 18 month scheduled. But I have a feeling like all dealerships they will shrug it off or just tell me they could not find anything.

Thank you for the reply. It certainly gave me a clue as to what it most likely was.

Oh and while I am here.... does anyone know if Toyota has a fix for the occasional finding a gear problem? If it is just inherent I can live with it because otherwise it is a great vehicle but I do think it could be a little bit of a danger if merging into traffic and it takes 3-4 seconds for it to find a gear lol.

Last edited:
Well it has not happened again and had never happened before in the year and 1/2 I owned the truck. So if it was me stepping on both the brake and gas at the same time by accident it would be odd it only happened twice and on the same night. But, it is a possibility..I recall pulling the floor mat down because I thought that might have been it. Maybe it was laying on the brake or more likely the gas pedal.

If the events are stored maybe I can pull them up with my scan tool but I will mention it to the dealer when it is in for its 18 month scheduled. But I have a feeling like all dealerships they will shrug it off or just tell me they could not find anything.

Thank you for the reply. It certainly gave me a clue as to what it most likely was.

Oh and while I am here.... does anyone know if Toyota has a fix for the occasional finding a gear problem? If it is just inherent I can live with it because otherwise it is a great vehicle but I do think it could be a little bit of a danger if merging into traffic and it takes 3-4 seconds for it to find a gear lol.
There is a current TSB for the transmission. Dealer should be able to tell you.

There is a current TSB for the transmission. Dealer should be able to tell you.

Thanks. I have access to alldata at work and forgot I could actually check for any TSB's myself. But I figure it can't hurt to ask on a Tacoma forum anyhow as it is most likely any common issues will be brought up and any solutions that were found.

Back