2018 Taco Sport Revs high

xpert66

Been noticing once in a while that my 2018 Tacoma 6 cylinder auto will rev very high and not accelerate when trying to pass another vehicle. Usually happens when I try to punch the gas. Is this a transmission problem? Truck has 20k miles. Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:
Been noticing once in a while that my 2018 Tacoma 6 cylinder will rev very high and not accelerate when trying to pass another vehicle. Usually happens when I try to punch the gas. Is this a transmission problem? Truck has 20k miles. Any ideas? Thanks
Auto or manual?
Certainly sounds like a dying clutch, or if auto, a clutch pack issue or maybe even a fluid issue.

Dealership run sounds like a good idea.

I have experienced the problem where the engine revs but the truck doesn’t move or respond accordingly. Usually this happens when I try to pull out into heavy traffic and is scary. It happens rarely but when it does, it’s always at a bad time. I have had all of the transmission updates and the truck drives great. What I have learned is that if you put the transmission in “S” mode the hesitation goes away. So now when when I pull out into traffic I use the “S” mode and no more scary moments.
In my tundra low transmission fluid caused the transmission not to shift up from 1st gear until the transmission warmed up. Once it warmed up, the transmission fluid expanded and the level would be adequate to shift normally. Adding fluid solved that problem.

I have experienced the problem where the engine revs but the truck doesn’t move or respond accordingly. Usually this happens when I try to pull out into heavy traffic and is scary. It happens rarely but when it does, it’s always at a bad time. I have had all of the transmission updates and the truck drives great. What I have learned is that if you put the transmission in “S” mode the hesitation goes away. So now when when I pull out into traffic I use the “S” mode and no more scary moments.
In my tundra low transmission fluid caused the transmission not to shift up from 1st gear until the transmission warmed up. Once it warmed up, the transmission fluid expanded and the level would be adequate to shift normally. Adding fluid solved that problem.
Thats not a cure, its a band aide imho
Something isnt working right

Btw..S mode is the same gear the truck is currently in. Shifting to S mode the truck 4th by default. So you are saying just by doing this it helps? I see no difference. You can bump it up to 5th and 6th Gear if that's what you're referring to

Stupid question how did they check fluid my is doing same 2016 taco
Let it cool, usually a few hours depending on conditions.... Then put it into trans check mode (may differ a lil from second gens), let the trans come up to a CERTAIN temp, loosen check plug, watch for trickle.

Its a piss poor setup

The 4 cylinders might have a dipstick?

Back