2018 Tacoma Unusual Problem Video Included

Gillie74

I am having an issue with my 2018 Tacoma Off-road. Looking to talk to anyone who may have some experience with the issue. This is my third Tacoma and I've driven nothing but a Tacoma since 2003. When I first start it in the morning and back out of my driveway and shift into drive my Tacoma goes into what seems like a limp mode. It's not a rough idle the tach pulsates from 1000-1500 about 10 times then levels off. If you try to drive it lurches and has no power. My dealership is taking care of me and gave me a demo for three weeks and now a rental. Interestingly the 2020 demo they gave me has done it as well a few times. I have a few videos of this:
My truck

New 2020 Demo

To be clear on the condition. In all of these videos it has happened while stopping at the top of my driveway and shifting to neutral or park. It has happened a number of times, however, when shifting to drive. The truck has no power and 'lurches' forward with the RPM surges. No acceleration. It happened a few times infrequently when new but has happened on a much more regular basis this winter. Luckily it has not happened while pulling out onto a busy street, however, I am starting to lose confidence driving it and I feel its a matter of time before that happens.

Back