2018 TRD Off-road?

tacotommy

Hi all... new to the forum... potentially a taco owner if all goes rite. I've been thinking about getting a taco for a while now and finally have proper fundage. I went and checked a few out today and found a beautiful new 2018 TRD offroad. Has a few bells and whistles, price isn't so bad (gonna haggle a little bit). Has the V6 and automatic trans. The only thing I saw is some people had problems with the automatic trans shifting up hill and also back into 2&1. Also I saw people said the engine is real sluggish. Any other issues? Kinda got hesitant when I saw some of the problems online... cam gear failure on one. YIKES! and sorry to hear that. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! My '17 TRFOR downshifts when going up a hill but only when the cruise is on otherwise runs great. Don't have any other problems with mine at all and loving it!

Hi all... new to the forum... potentially a taco owner if all goes rite. I've been thinking about getting a taco for a while now and finally have proper fundage. I went and checked a few out today and found a beautiful new 2018 TRD offroad. Has a few bells and whistles, price isn't so bad (gonna haggle a little bit). Has the V6 and automatic trans. The only thing I saw is some people had problems with the automatic trans shifting up hill and also back into 2&1. Also I saw people said the engine is real sluggish. Any other issues? Kinda got hesitant when I saw some of the problems online... cam gear failure on one. YIKES! and sorry to hear that. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. The gen threes are doing fine. They just had a few kinks to work out.

Welcome to the forum. Most of the issues are fixed. They are good trucks and you’ll like the OR. Look at getting an extended warranty if you plan on keeping it longer than 3 years. Negotiate all the things you want, pro grille added if you want it, bed mat, all weather floor mats anything you want that’s the time to negotiate it into the deal. Once the ink hits the paper that’s it they win and won’t do anything for you.

That is reassuring to hear they fixed some problems. It has a 3 fold bed tonneau cover, floor mats, 120 receptacle in the bed, plastic bed liner, maybe some others. Just went there and looked around... didn't even talk to a salesperson yet, didn't even turn the power on or start it. Any recommendations on add-ons? I live in the northeast more specifically Long Island so salt and rust are gonna be a lifelong battle. I plan on having it a substantial amount of time so a warranty is a must. Another thing is when I was there I saw quite a few Tacoma chassis on skids... kinda scary to see at a dealer. Any explanation for that?

Welcome to the Forum!

There’s a recall for frames in older models. Our 07 Sequoia was included. They test to see if there is surface rust or if it has penetrated the frame. Luckily ours was just surface rust, so they cleaned the frame and covered it in undercoating. If the rust is penetrating the frame, Toyota will replace the frame at no charge.

That is reassuring to hear they fixed some problems. It has a 3 fold bed tonneau cover, floor mats, 120 receptacle in the bed, plastic bed liner, maybe some others. Just went there and looked around... didn't even talk to a salesperson yet, didn't even turn the power on or start it. Any recommendations on add-ons? I live in the northeast more specifically Long Island so salt and rust are gonna be a lifelong battle. I plan on having it a substantial amount of time so a warranty is a must. Another thing is when I was there I saw quite a few Tacoma chassis on skids... kinda scary to see at a dealer. Any explanation for that?
No plastic Berliner. The inside of the box is made of plastic. Get a rubber bedmat. They are cheap.

Back