4 pin wiring

stx Ryan

So my 05 tacoma sport came with the tow package. There was both a 6 way and a 4 way connector when i got it. The 6 way connector is fine, but the four way has only one wire to it. Can anyone tell me which wires go to which color wire on the 4 way. The top pic is the right tail light, and the the bottom is the left

Attachments

• 1430336359761.jpg
    1430336359761.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 1430336371879.jpg
    1430336371879.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 28
Shouldn't there be a wire harness tucked up under the hitch area from the factory? If it came with "the tow package" you shouldn't need to tap into your tail lights. What are all of those taps doing in there, did someone else get in there and bugger with it?

Even with the tow package the Tacomas don't come with a 4 flat connector, someone added that aftermarket, they only come with a 7 pin, so you can either add a 4 pin or get a converter

my '15 came with couple of different connectors in the glove box. Since I don't plan on towing anything, I didn't bother to look at them to see what they were. I've just seen enough mystery intermittent lighting problems in my life, usually coinciding with some shade-tree wire tap work to get queesey when I see all of that stuff in your picture.

I'm willing to guess that it originally didn't come with the tow package. That the previous owner installed it. So it came with the tow package when you got it. I would recommend taking all of it out and starting from scratch, installing you own.

Shouldn't there be a wire harness tucked up under the hitch area from the factory? If it came with "the tow package" you shouldn't need to tap into your tail lights. What are all of those taps doing in there, did someone else get in there and bugger with it?
Yea there is a wire harness. My dad bought the truck new with the tow package. His brother borrowed it to tow something and messed with it. Im guessing all these extra wires were his masterpiece. You think i should just leave em and use the stock connector? It would be nice to have that extra four pin though without buying an adaptor , just in case

Either way it's your truck, I don't like doing stuff like that if I don't have too, I regularly tow a 4 pin and I just keep an adapter in the center console, but that's me

Yea there is a wire harness. My dad bought the truck new with the tow package. His brother borrowed it to tow something and messed with it. Im guessing all these extra wires were his masterpiece. You think i should just leave em and use the stock connector? It would be nice to have that extra four pin though without buying an adaptor , just in case

Wire taps like that, when they are someone else's doing, make my mouth dry out and my palms get sweaty. I have used them, and thought they were okay ( to get power to a sat radio), but that was because I did them, it was only one, and it was in the interior. If your uncle is a squared away guy that knows what he is doing, and you don't have any problems, you could leave it as is. But, like I say, I have seen lots of trailers going down the road with all kinds of lighting problems and I bet both the trailer and the towing unit are messed up.

Yea im thinking about ditching the whole deal and sticking with the stock connector, and like texastacoma said, keeping an adaptor handy

Back