Backup camera help ( Metra License plate camera Model# BBBPC)

sniperkill

Okay, i have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma DBL cab 4WD TRD SR5 4.0L. I recently installed a new head unit that supports a backup camera. So I went to Best Buy and got the (Metra Model# BBBPC) camera. I ran the wire it came with from the back of my new radio to the back of my truck and plugged the wire into the camera. This end of the wire also had a red wire and a black wire. I took the red and black wire and ran them into my tail light housing and spliced the red wire to the reverse bulb positive wire (red w/white stripe i think)and the black to the reverse bulb white wire w/black stripe. So thats that for the rear end of the truck. Which brings me to the inside of my truck. It says to connect the other end of the backup camera wire, which is a yellow RCA plug, which it says to plug it into the video-in plug on the back of my radio. Well along with this yellow RCA plug is a red wire. Now i did hook up the purple wire on the radio (which is the reverse sensor wire, or pulse something) to the trucks reverse wire located in my drivers kick panel bottom harness big red wire with a stripe ( i cant remember the color right now). Now this red wire coming off of the backup camera wire along with the yellow RCA, i know where the yellow RCA wire goes, but i cant figure out where this red wire goes? It belongs to the backup camera, i just dont know where it goes. Cuz every time I put my truck in reverse, the radio goes to the screen where i should see an image of whats behind my truck, but its a black screen is all i see when i put my truck in reverse.... Any help would be great guys!! TIA

Maybe a power or ground wire to power the camera?
Ground or and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Taco Forum mobile app

Yeah, i checked all the grounds. I double checked all the connections. I need to know where the red wire goes that that's attached to the same end of the camera wire that the yellow RCA wire. The radio i have is a Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX, and in the settings it has an option in the camera settings on the radio for me to set the camera type from "Ground" or "Battery". I have this setting set to battery....

In case thats a little confusing to anyone, the wire that came with my backup camera, one end goes to the camera at the back end of my truck, this end of the wire has a small round black plug on it, along with a red and black wire, well this red and black wire I connected to my reverse bulb wires. Red wire went to a red wire on my taillight with a stripe on it, and the black went to the white wire with a black stripe on my taillight . Now on the other end of the wire, the end that gets ran to my radio has a yellow RCA connector, and a red wire, now this red wire is the wire i need to know where it goes? Anyone?

Last edited:
the red wire that comes with the yellow rca is input for the back of the double din head unit .. goes to violet/white .. they added that wire so if you get the reverse wire from the back , you don't have to run a reverse wire to the back of the radio ..

I have the same camera but I wired min3 on a separate on/off switch so I can turn it on at any time. At first I had the same problem ,but drilled and wire brushed a spot on the frame to put the ground wire. Works fine now. My only problem now is that on the screen looks reversed. Saying that if there is a car on my right side of my truck it shows on the screen being on the left side. Really screws with your head .Don"t know if there is anything I can do to change this picture to make it right.

I have the same camera but I wired min3 on a separate on/off switch so I can turn it on at any time. At first I had the same problem ,but drilled and wire brushed a spot on the frame to put the ground wire. Works fine now. My only problem now is that on the screen looks reversed. Saying that if there is a car on my right side of my truck it shows on the screen being on the left side. Really screws with your head .Don"t know if there is anything I can do to change this picture to make it right.
You clip one of the little wire loops. Check the manual for your specific issue.

http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/TE-BPC_Manual.pdf

Back