Caster and 2 1/2 to 3” lift question.

TacoKen

I have a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 double cab with a 3” lift. Toytec recommends a 3.5 degree caster for each side. I contacted SPC light racing arms tech support and they only recommend 2 degrees caster. Before I buy and install the SPC light racing UCA’s I want to make the correct caster setting. Any suggestions from you guys with 2 1/2 to 3” lifts is appreciated.

I have a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 double cab with a 3” lift. Toytec recommends a 3.5 degree caster for each side. I contacted SPC light racing arms tech support and they only recommend 2 degrees caster. Before I buy and install the SPC light racing UCA’s I want to make the correct caster setting. Any suggestions from you guys with 2 1/2 to 3” lifts is appreciated.
I have the TC uppers and I'm at 4 degrees on PF, 3.7 on DF.
2.5 degrees is the bare minimum that you want with a 2-3" lift no matter what UCA's you have.

From what I remember, it was easy to change the caster angle with those arms. I'd try 2 and change it if the wheel doesn't want to center itself.

What the guys with lift set their caster at............and what they like or dislike about the setting.

99% of people that lift just throw stuff on and drive. I did that and my truck drives fine. I have a camber issue that's visible but the alignment machese in in the "green."

What the guys with lift set their caster at............and what they like or dislike about the setting.
I like more caster. Lol. More caster corrects faster, comes back to center faster. My #'s track straight down the hwy, is a pleasure to drive and after a 1200 mile road trip doesn't show any signs of wear. (Camber and toe are zero) common practice is to set PF caster 0.50 higher than DF, I only wanted 0.30. Over 4.00 caster started to "fight back" while making sharper hwy turns such as a windy mountain hwy. Under 2.5 caster just "drives like poo" to me with a 2-3" lift. My last 3 Tacomas with 2-3" lifts had the same alignment. I say this so maybe someone else doesn't have to pay $60 at the shop for an alignment as many times as I have in the past to finally get a good alignment.
There ya go. Hope that was informative.

99% of people that lift just throw stuff on and drive. I did that and my truck drives fine. I have a camber issue that's visible but the alignment machese in in the "green."

My alignment is at the very end of green. So it can't go any further for caster. The truck drives ok around town but not so much on the road at 55 and up. Just doesn't like going in a straight line. Always fighting a little to keep it straight. So I have been told it's due to not enough caster. Caster is 1.3 on left and 1.5 on right which is close to the red. Camber is 0.2 and 0.4 which again is close to the red. SPC said start at 2.0 and Toytec said 3.4 on left and 3.6 on right. (caster)

I like more caster. Lol. More caster corrects faster, comes back to center faster. My #'s track straight down the hwy, is a pleasure to drive and after a 1200 mile road trip doesn't show any signs of wear. (Camber and toe are zero) common practice is to set PF caster 0.50 higher than DF, I only wanted 0.30. Over 4.00 caster started to "fight back" while making sharper hwy turns such as a windy mountain hwy. Under 2.5 caster just "drives like poo" to me with a 2-3" lift. My last 3 Tacomas with 2-3" lifts had the same alignment. I say this so maybe someone else doesn't have to pay $60 at the shop for an alignment as many times as I have in the past to finally get a good alignment.
There ya go. Hope that was informative.

Great info....thanks (alignments here are $89)

Back