CB Antenna Wiring

Trevor Atkinson

Need to drill through the back of my truck cab to run my cable to my CB antenna, where is the nest place to do this and what should i seal the hole with?? Thanks
(2006 2nd gen tacoma)

Don't drill. On the back side of the cab, towards the bottom, on both drivers side and passenger side, there's a rubber plug. You'll need to remove the rear panel, then Remove the plug, drill a hole in the center the size of the wire you're running, then cut a slit from the outside of the plug to the hole you just drilled. Once you've run the wire into the cab, slip the plug over the wire and reinsert it into the hole. Seal it with silicone and you should be good to go. That's what I did when I did the stealth XM antenna mod. Works great.

Don't drill. On the back side of the cab, towards the bottom, on both drivers side and passenger side, there's a rubber plug. You'll need to remove the rear panel, then Remove the plug, drill a hole in the center the size of the wire you're running, then cut a slit from the outside of the plug to the hole you just drilled. Once you've run the wire into the cab, slip the plug over the wire and reinsert it into the hole. Seal it with silicone and you should be good to go. That's what I did when I did the stealth XM antenna mod. Works great.
Awesome tip man thanks definitely going to do that!! But is it big enough for the Coaux cb antenna wire and head?

BTW is it behind the seat? and if so do i have to remove that cover??

I have an Access Cab and I had to pull the back panel off to get to the antenna lead. Then I ran the lead under the carpet up to the dash.

I have an Access Cab and I had to pull the back panel off to get to the antenna lead. Then I ran the lead under the carpet up to the dash.
Well I didn't know their was a tac weld but attached to this and now it's broke and will not come out. So I decided to run it through the fire wall but now my cable is too short. So I ordered another one but now another problem! My cable and antenna are different and don't match up. If you could check my other post and help me out that would be great!!

Don't know how a rubber plug could be tack welded. Are you sure you weren't trying to pull out the wrong thing?

I have no idea what that's a picture of. You asked about drilling a hole in the rear of the cab and I suggested you simply pull one of the rubber plugs from the lower back of the cab. Nothing to unbolt.

Im looking to do basically the same thing except in a DC.
I want the antenna center mounted on the roof. Also I cannot stand most of the hood mounts I've seen. They stick out so obnoxiously and don't seem clean on the truck.
I've got a 2015, it has that xm fin on the roof and I've toyed with the idea of running the cable up through there if possible.

My cb will be placed in my center console and I want to run the coax the shortest distance possible so probably under the carpet, up one of the rear pillars(behind the plastic) into the headliner and straight through the roof.

As opposed as I may be to drilling through the roof it's seems like the cleanest most logical way of doing this.

So what are the methods/recommendations for sealing the hole up/preventing corrosion?

What are everyone's alternate opinions/suggestions?

Bed mounting isn't an option with my Bestop.

So right now it's either roof or someone can show me a good clean front hood mount or something else reasonable.

Thanks in advance guys.

Similar issue, but Diamond Back cover, so after much deliberation and due to lack of reasonable alternatives, I drilled the cover. Routed the cable from under the passenger seat where my CB main board sits (split off face for install), through the opening in the carpet there and through the port in the floor right below. It was an easy routing. I am not sure how thick the metal is in the cab roof, but I would consider some reinforcement if you are using a sizeable antenna.

Attachments

• 1442109696034.jpg
    1442109696034.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 1442109725060.jpg
    1442109725060.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 1442109781195.jpg
    1442109781195.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 33
Need to drill through the back of my truck cab to run my cable to my CB antenna, where is the nest place to do this and what should i seal the hole with?? Thanks
(2006 2nd gen tacoma)
I know this thread is ancient, but for anybody looking for advice going forward:

If you’re going to drill, my recommendation would be to go dead center on the roof. Mount an NMO mount there, and run the cable down to where you want the radio to go. NMO are designed to go through the sheetmetal, and include a gasket to make the thing watertight. At that point, you can attach whatever you want to it, CB, ham, or GMRS or whatever. Or just a cap to protect the threads while you’re deciding on an antenna or waiting for it to ship!

If you don’t want to use an NMO antenna for CB and would prefer a Firestick, there are cheap adapters to go from NMO to CB stud mounts.

(Dead center will give you the best ground plane at that frequency, and the most even radiation pattern)

Back