Change to sport always in 4 th gear

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by riktacoma, Oct 11, 2017.

1. riktacoma

riktacoma Member

Every time that i change drive to S always goes in to 4 th gear no mater what speed I'm at. Does anyone have the same thing happening? 1507769795360.jpeg 1507769795360.jpeg

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s designed that way. Totally normal on the gen3.

Bogunn likes this.
  4. OP
    riktacoma

riktacoma Member

Ok thanks

OR17TRD likes this.
  5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Yup. It’s normal. I don’t know why it was designed to go to 4th.

6. OR17TRD

Because it’s not a very smart tranny.

Bogunn likes this.
  7. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

S for sequential.

Toyota probably figures you wanted to pass if you are selecting gears on your own after being in drive.

elandan and Bogunn like this.
  8. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Usually whenever I actually use the manual shift it’s for weather like snow and ice. Or because I’m off road in a tricky spot. 4th gear isn’t where I’ll be in any of those situations usually.

9. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Does it start in 4th when stopped and you select S?

10. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Yeah. It’s the default as far as I can tell. It’s really only an issue if you are at a higher speed requiring 5-6th gears. It’ll throw the truck down into 4th making it rev like a greenhorn grabbing a wrong gear in a standard.

11. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

It’s truly a gear limiter though I guess. So you can go from 1-4th gear when in 4th.
    So S-6 is essentially the same as Drive, right?
    I wish the transmission would convert to whatever gear is currently being ran. I.E.- 65mph would go to S-6, etc.
    If I recall right don’t the gen two auto transmissions do the same thing?

12. OR17TRD

When you put it into S and you’re at a stop it’s not in 4th it says 4th like bogunn said it’s a limiter. It will only go up to 4th gear until you select another gear then it will only go as high as the gear you selected. Select 2nd it won’t go above 2nd until you select a higher gear.

Bogunn likes this.
  13. OR17TRD

It’s going to start you off in 4th because if you where doing 65mph and put it into S mode like Whippersnapper02 said if you are putting it into S mode you are probably wanting to pass or get that extra rev/rpm boost to increase speed faster, you can shift into 5th or 6th as needed from there. If you are going slower and switch into 4th the transmission will stay in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear if that’s where it was when you engaged S mode as you speed up it will change gears up to the gear selected.

14. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Probably so. I always assumed it was a middle ground so that it wouldn’t throw the tranny down into too low of a gear initially.
    But that being said, the only times S-Mode is usually used is to pass and get the RPMs up or when you’ll be in bad weather limiting the gears so you’d already be below 4th.
    I guess 4th is the most logical gear for both of those scenarios when you truly think about it.

15. OR17TRD

Might be smarter than we thunk it was.

Bogunn likes this.
  16. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Tacoma, camry... must be close sissers. They default to 4th when slapped over to "s" too.

Prolly carry same payload too.

17. OR17TRD

I’m sure it’s at least 1100 lbs.

18. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

I shoulda taken the car to move those pavers for my dad... damnit

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.