Change to sport always in 4 th gear

riktacoma

Every time that i change drive to S always goes in to 4 th gear no mater what speed I'm at. Does anyone have the same thing happening?1507769795360.jpeg1507769795360.jpeg

S for sequential.

Toyota probably figures you wanted to pass if you are selecting gears on your own after being in drive.

Usually whenever I actually use the manual shift it’s for weather like snow and ice. Or because I’m off road in a tricky spot. 4th gear isn’t where I’ll be in any of those situations usually.

Usually whenever I actually use the manual shift it’s for weather like snow and ice. Or because I’m off road in a tricky spot. 4th gear isn’t where I’ll be in any of those situations usually.

Does it start in 4th when stopped and you select S?

Does it start in 4th when stopped and you select S?

Yeah. It’s the default as far as I can tell. It’s really only an issue if you are at a higher speed requiring 5-6th gears. It’ll throw the truck down into 4th making it rev like a greenhorn grabbing a wrong gear in a standard.

It’s truly a gear limiter though I guess. So you can go from 1-4th gear when in 4th.
So S-6 is essentially the same as Drive, right?
I wish the transmission would convert to whatever gear is currently being ran. I.E.- 65mph would go to S-6, etc.
If I recall right don’t the gen two auto transmissions do the same thing?

When you put it into S and you’re at a stop it’s not in 4th it says 4th like bogunn said it’s a limiter. It will only go up to 4th gear until you select another gear then it will only go as high as the gear you selected. Select 2nd it won’t go above 2nd until you select a higher gear.

It’s going to start you off in 4th because if you where doing 65mph and put it into S mode like Whippersnapper02 said if you are putting it into S mode you are probably wanting to pass or get that extra rev/rpm boost to increase speed faster, you can shift into 5th or 6th as needed from there. If you are going slower and switch into 4th the transmission will stay in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear if that’s where it was when you engaged S mode as you speed up it will change gears up to the gear selected.

It’s going to start you off in 4th because if you where doing 65mph and put it into S mode like Whippersnapper02 said if you are putting it into S mode you are probably wanting to pass or get that extra rev/rpm boost to increase speed faster, you can shift into 5th or 6th as needed from there. If you are going slower and switch into 4th the transmission will stay in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear if that’s where it was when you engaged S mode as you speed up it will change gears up to the gear selected.

Probably so. I always assumed it was a middle ground so that it wouldn’t throw the tranny down into too low of a gear initially.
But that being said, the only times S-Mode is usually used is to pass and get the RPMs up or when you’ll be in bad weather limiting the gears so you’d already be below 4th.
I guess 4th is the most logical gear for both of those scenarios when you truly think about it.

Probably so. I always assumed it was a middle ground so that it wouldn’t throw the tranny down into too low of a gear initially.
But that being said, the only times S-Mode is usually used is to pass and get the RPMs up or when you’ll be in bad weather limiting the gears so you’d already be below 4th.
I guess 4th is the most logical gear for both of those scenarios when you truly think about it.
Might be smarter than we thunk it was.

Tacoma, camry... must be close sissers. They default to 4th when slapped over to "s" too.

Prolly carry same payload too.

I hate it. Every other “tiptronic” style manual gear selection on an automatic I’ve used actually lets you choose your gear. It starts in whatever gear it was already in, and if you shift it stays in whatever gear you choose, even if you get on it. It will only downshift if you’re coming to a stop. My Taco’s selectable “tiptronic” thing is absolutely garbage.

I hate it. Every other “tiptronic” style manual gear selection on an automatic I’ve used actually lets you choose your gear. It starts in whatever gear it was already in, and if you shift it stays in whatever gear you choose, even if you get on it. It will only downshift if you’re coming to a stop. My Taco’s selectable “tiptronic” thing is absolutely garbage.
welcome to TF
I never use it in the camry, I choose either 4th or "D"

on my second gen tacoma I use the same.

I dont understand the hype, especially in a truck

I mean, all the "gears" have ALWAYS been there.... now u just get flappy paddles or slap the "gear" selector.
I use all of them when Im on a steep decline and want to save my brakes, or climbing a large grade. but not for daily driving

Back