Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by STICKMAN, Mar 12, 2019.

1. STICKMAN

STICKMAN Member

Has anyone tried the stock cold air intake on a 2019 and in your opinion does it help with throttle response and sound? Any unwanted side effects?.

Scott Wyman and texasred like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

As with most all aftermarket intakes, you gain induction sound but throttle response gains are more than likely part of the effect of extra noise. The OEM system pulls from the inner fender which is cool air.

4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Stock cold air intake? Are you talking about the TRD CAI or just the stock air intake that’s already on the truck?
    Are you taking it off? If you take it off there will be effects. I’d recommend leaving something on there.

Scott Wyman, texasred and kp.taco like this.
  5. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

I confussed

6. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

I still want someone to try the AC duct into the airbox thing....

7. Bojangles

Would it supply enough air at wot?
    At that point (wot) the ac would be turned off anyhow i bet. The ac compressor is shutoff on most vehicles under high load conditions.

8. Crawdad

Maybe, but then it could suck the rest of the cold air out of the cabin...

9. Bojangles

@whippersnapper02 who was the guy that said u would suffocate if the ac was left on recirculate and didnt crack a window? I swear we had that laugh here.... Johnny?

10. whippersnapper02

I think his name was Dr. Derp.

11. OP
    STICKMAN

STICKMAN Member

Yes I was referring to the TRD CAI that was an option in 2018 for the TRD Pro. I wanted to have it installed on the 2019 Limited but the option was not offered. The dealer said that it would cause problems with the ERG valve. (???) They finally said they would install it but couldn't guarantee the engine would perform properly and would not recommend it on the 2019. (???) Has anyone opted for the TRD CAI in their rig and how has it worked out for you?

12. whippersnapper02

The previous TRD intake for the 2nd gen was know to cause lean issues with the fuel mixture. There was a better intake before but it wasn't street legal and changed to the crappy one.

As far as I know, the 3.5 is the same in 2019 as it was in 2016. Also keep in mind that the dealer doesn't know anything about what they sell. Intakes in general just add sound and look cool under the hood. Any gains are minimal (3-5hp).

Scott Wyman, texasred and B-Man like this.
  13. OP
    STICKMAN

STICKMAN Member

Anyway to get around the potential lean fuel issue without voiding any warrantees? Minimal hp gain is fine for me, I just want better throttle response and more sound from up front.

14. whippersnapper02

Fuel issue was on the 2nd gen. Not sure if the 3rd gen had this issue but I haven't seen reports of it.

Any throttle response increase will be from the noise increase.

15. Bojangles

I second this

16. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Well-Known Member

I believe that the same air filter for the 3.5l is used on the 5.7l V8, and the air intake is already in the wheel well, so it isn't likely that a CAI is going to improve things.

17. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

The third gen Tundra with the 5.7L V8 uses the same size air filter as the Tacoma 3.5L V6. The earlier models (07-13) of the 5.7L had a larger filter and box.

Scott Wyman, B-Man and texasred like this.
  18. OP
    STICKMAN

STICKMAN Member

The hesitation when putting some foot on the throttle is disturbing. It isn't instant. I had way better response from the GMC Canyon I sold. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to increase the response time.? I know I'm only talking about a split second but the hesitation sucks.

19. Crawdad

The throttle response that I get from the 1.05 OV tune is impeccable, best $ I've spent on my truck.

Scott Wyman, B-Man and texasred like this.
  20. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Do tell.

Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  21. Crawdad