Coolant bubbles out of expansion tank

wbfischer

Not sure what's going on here when truck gets to operating temp the coolant bubbles out the expansion tank sometimes til it overflows. Ive changed radiator cap as to see if that fixed but nothing. Truck doesn't overheat I'm not sure what to check. Any help would be great.

Not sure what's going on here when truck gets to operating temp the coolant bubbles out the expansion tank sometimes til it overflows. Ive changed radiator cap as to see if that fixed but nothing. Truck doesn't overheat I'm not sure what to check. Any help would be great.
What does the oil on your dipstick look like? Hopefully not tanish milky looking.. is your truck a 2005?

What does the oil on your dipstick look like? Hopefully not tanish milky looking.. is your truck a 2005?
Truck is an 05 yes. Oil looks fine. Truck runs fine as well no weird noises misfires or anythinf of the sort. I know of the head gasker issues for this model year. I'm debating on just selling the truck amd getting something else while it runs, but I own it so have a hard time justifying a new payment

Makes me wonder if the water pump is doing its job... Coolant not cycling would get toasty and overflow maybe?
Im not well versed in the cooling arena, sorry.

Does the temp vary alot when u are on highway vs city streets?
The stock needle is ****, id suggest checking temp via scangauge2, ultragauge, or a phone app like torque

Makes me wonder if the water pump is doing its job... Coolant not cycling would get toasty and overflow maybe?
Im not well versed in the cooling arena, sorry.

Does the temp vary alot when u are on highway vs city streets?
The stock needle is ****, id suggest checking temp via scangauge2, ultragauge, or a phone app like torque
I'm using torque now the temp stays right at 190 to 192 at all speeds

A compression to coolant system break in the head gasket makes bubbles...

Gaskets aren't terribly priced, elbow grease is cheap... keep her ticking with no payments!!!
It may be a pinhole leak that a compression test wouldn’t catch.
Concur with Crawfish. Gaskets are a cheap toss at it. Just reserve an afternoon and get a bloody good torque wrench.

Ive read some things that have discouraged me from tearing it down myself. Id hate to take it apart to not be able to get it back together or not work right after ive put it back together.

I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma with 196k doing the same thing. Exactly what people have said in posts a compression to coolant head gasket leek causes bubbles. My temperature gauge seems to be stuck in the middle so I didn’t notice that it over heated when the coolant bypass pipe broke off in the back out of plain view!

I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma with 196k doing the same thing. Exactly what people have said in posts a compression to coolant head gasket leek causes bubbles. My temperature gauge seems to be stuck in the middle so I didn’t notice that it over heated when the coolant bypass pipe broke off in the back out of plain view!
Which pipe are you talking about? I use the torque app and havent seem temp go over 192 I was going to take truck in to get fixed. It runs fine other than I know what the coolant is doing

Also how did you know the truck overheated if the temp needles didn't soar??

i had this same issue with my ‘05 Prerunner what i ended up doing was “burping” the coolant return hose. you can feel the bubbles as you add pressure to the hose. just make sure that you open up the coolant tank to be able to push the air through it. that fixed the problem for me at least‍♂️

i had this same issue with my ‘05 Prerunner what i ended up doing was “burping” the coolant return hose. you can feel the bubbles as you add pressure to the hose. just make sure that you open up the coolant tank to be able to push the air through it. that fixed the problem for me at least‍♂️

Back