Coolant level.

Joef2661

It's getting hot out where I live so I checked my fluids this morning. My coolant level was low so I thought I'd just buy some and top her off. After I got back home and opened the hood the coolant level was fine. Does anybody have any suggestions or can maybe tell me something why this is so? Thanks.

It's getting hot out where I live so I checked my fluids this morning. My coolant level was low so I thought I'd just buy some and top her off. After I got back home and opened the hood the coolant level was fine. Does anybody have any suggestions or can maybe tell me something why this is so? Thanks.

Coolant level should be at the lower line when cold and upper when hot.

Fluids expand when hot, that is the reason why they have an expansion bottle hooked to the radiator. As it cools off when parked, the rubber hose connecting them, allows it to be sucked back into the rad. Old cars didn't have this, so people couldn't fill the radiator up, the airspace in a rad is not ideal.

Ps. You didn't say where, or what you bought for antifreeze. So please note that you shouldn't just mix anything in your truck. If not buying it at a Toy dealer, make sure that you buy a compatible fluid, or if it just needs a little bit, go to a grocery store and buy distilled water, use that instead.
Don't use tap water, or regular bottled water, only distilled...same if topping off a flooded cell style battery, distilled only.

I bought verex 50/50 mix made for Asian vehicles. I couldn't tell you what when in before but the guy I purchased the truck from only took it to a Toyota dealership.
Ps. You didn't say where, or what you bought for antifreeze. So please note that you shouldn't just mix anything in your truck. If not buying it at a Toy dealer, make sure that you buy a compatible fluid, or if it just needs a little bit, go to a grocery store and buy distilled water, use that instead.
Don't use tap water, or regular bottled water, only distilled...same if topping off a flooded cell style battery, distilled only.

Back