Depressurize fuel system, 2018 Tacoma

Joisey

Does anyone know the correct way to relieve fuel pressure for a 2018 V6 Tacoma? I have to replace a failing fuel pump and don't want to take a gasoline bath. I can't find the information anywhere.

Thank you in advance.

Usually there's a Schrader valve on the fuel rail. If all else fails pull the fuel pump fuse and run it out of gas.
I'll look for the Schrader valve under the hood. I believe that I've seen a cap on the fuel line. Like you said, if all else fails, pull the fuel pump fuse or relay and run it until it stops.

Is youres under recall?

Yes, it is. Toyota is looking at October 'or so' for the recall on the Tacoma. Meanwhile, my truck gets a stutter while driving every blue moon and it's my only vehicle. I'll pay for the pump out of my own pocket and replace it, then give Toyota the bill. It is stated in the recall that they will reimburse you for the fuel pump if replaced before recall.

I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road or on the way to a hospital when the fuel pump goes south.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning what you're doing or you're motive, I understand that all. At this point getting an OEM pump is probably fruitless, so what aftermarket pump are you gonna use? You need to be careful that the aftermarket puts out the same pressure as OEM. Question, have you tried a UCL? Lucas Fuel Treatment is a good UCL and it also lubricates youre fuel pump, I use Amsoil UCL which by their claims is better, i'm not going to argue weather it is or isn't cause I don't know, but either one can be used with every fill up however I only use it every 3rd or 4th tank. I just find it odd that its gonna take toyota 10 months or a year or whatever to come up with a fix.

I have an OEM Delphi FG2130 pump coming on 6/2 from Rock Auto. I emailed Delphi to make sure that the pumps being sold are not part of those that Toyota is having trouble with.

Personally I believe that most of the trouble with electric fuel pumps is from owners running the vehicle with almost no fuel in the tank, causing the pump to run warm and harming the impeller. I fill up my truck when it gets to 1/4 tank or more to prevent that...and it makes the impact on the wallet a bit easier to take.

I believe the problem with my fuel pump is caused by the alcohol in the fuel not playing nicely with the synthetic impeller in the pump and causing it to swell. It could also be caused by lack of clearance in the pump, causing the impeller to drag. This trouble with the fuel pump began in the first month of buying my truck. The dealer said it was the transmission 'adjusting', then it was a 'lean surge' that a reprogram would cure (it didn't) and finally dirty fuel injectors (with less than 3K miles on the truck. I had told them that it seemed like the fuel pump was stalling, perhaps a loose wire or something. The dealer told me that the fuel pump 'either worked or it didn't, there was no in between.'

Amsoil PI has been used in my truck since new, one treatment every 3K miles. I used this in my GMC (same brand electric fuel pump) since new for just shy of 130K miles when I sold the truck with zero troubles. I have not tried the UCL by Amsoil, perhaps it is worth looking into.

I'll post how the pump change goes when I do it. Thank you for the information on the UCL.

This is just me thinking and I have no evidence at all to back it up but theres something about this whole fuel pump thing that just dont ring true. What you said about the impeller swelling is what ive read as Toyotas answer from the get go, which to me would be a simple fix, put the older impellers back in the pumps or the older coatings on the impellers, either way something changed to cause this problem. Like you said, alcohol in the gas. I know several years ago Shell had an issue with too much sulfur in their gas and had to replace a bunch of fuel pumps, is that the issue now, I don't know, Shell is a popular fuel more so in some areas than others, and what I read the fuel pump issues are more problematic in some areas. Are they the same areas, I don't know. I do know that my particular truck seems to have better performance on Shell gas but doesn't run as smooth, runs smoother on BP but not quite the performance. In my mind if it was totally an impeller issue it should have been fixed a long time ago. JMO which probably means next to nothing.

awww, you popped all my bubbles. ;) haha

I caught mythbusters a few times and it was OK. About two years ago I was on a forum talking to Adam Savage and he stated that a metal lathe is the only machine that can duplicate itself. I asked him how it melts iron for the bed and headstock, casts it and then heat treats and grinds it to size and a lot of other steps that are required to make a lathe. He had no answer, but told me that I was being picky. The man is an idjit.

I caught mythbusters a few times and it was OK. About two years ago I was on a forum talking to Adam Savage and he stated that a metal lathe is the only machine that can duplicate itself. I asked him how it melts iron for the bed and headstock, casts it and then heat treats and grinds it to size and a lot of other steps that are required to make a lathe. He had no answer, but told me that I was being picky. The man is an idjit.
i respect your own opinion of him. but i do like to watch the experiments. [emoji4]

Back