Diff lock won't engage

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by T.O.taco, Dec 31, 2017.

1. T.O.taco

T.O.taco New Member

What's up guys...so.. I've got a 2005 TRD.OR and have owned it for about 9 years. I don't do any kind of serious off-roading, pretty much construction sites, farmland and deep snow is as far as my wheelie rig goes.
    That being said...I remember trying my diff lock when I purchased my truck, but I've never used it since. (Never needed it to be honest.). Anyways I've tried it recently and it won't engage. I've been going through the steps correctly to engage, and I believe power is getting back to the diff...light blinks and everything just doesn't go solid and u don't feel any kind of click...before I lift this up on a hoist could anyone fill me in on what I could expect..and maybe $ figures on what shit is gonna cost me....maybe just a bad wire connection/plug?...
    ...seized locker?....do I need to open the differential?.....thx in advance for any advice. I don't post much, but read a lot and everyone on here is great!..super knowledgeable and eager to help. Refreshing to see with all the assholes surrounding us these days

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Did you try turning the wheel side to side while rolling forward? The splines have to line up.

Regular exercise of the diff lock and 4wd system (if you have it) is needed to keep them from sticking.

4wd, Tacomaholic and Bogunn like this.
  4. OP
    T.O.taco

T.O.taco New Member

I'll give it a shot. Thx

elandan likes this.
  5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Like whippersnapper said, you need to engage your 4wd system regularly.
    Welcome to the forum.

Turbo22baseball likes this.
  6. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Yep, use it or lose it... Try disconnecting the wire to the accuator (solenoid) & re connect (while checking connections for corrosion) This has been a huge point of failure due to non use &
    corrosion from the elements, when I got this 1st gen i have now the Elocker wasn't hooked up so I reconnected & after about 5 mins of use it will engage from a stand still, check those connections tho'

EDIT: On my white TRD it took about an hour before it engaged , but first you need to determine theres juice getting to the Elocker...

Turbo22baseball and elandan like this.
  7. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Another reason why I use mine as much as possible even when I don’t really need to.

Turbo22baseball, 4wd and Bogunn like this.
  8. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

4wd and OR17TRD like this.
  9. Tacomaholic

Tacomaholic Well-Known Member

Same.

I'll find a big empty parking lot, lock the rear diff and then drive forward and backward for a few minutes (without turning) to keep the system engaged on a regular basis.

4wd, OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  10. OR17TRD

Easy to do and good insurance. Even if you don’t live close to off road trails.

Tacomaholic and Bogunn like this.
  11. whippersnapper02

Had to exercise 4wd on a BMW that forgot he/she bought the 4 banger.

Tacomaholic, 4wd, Bogunn and 2 others like this.
  12. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

It’s got to hurt pride when someone gets smoked by a Taco. No one sees that coming.

13. whippersnapper02

It’s only when it’s the weak model or a ricer. Otherwise I have no chance.

Bogunn likes this.
  14. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

This is how diff was locked on my 2000.....haha

Actually it was my life long buddy from school & he wanted to do a donut so I obliged him (he passed away last year sadly)...

kp.taco, OR17TRD and whippersnapper02 like this.
  15. OR17TRD

That’s not an easy thing to have to go through. Sorry to hear that.

16. toywoodsguy82

toywoodsguy82 Well-Known Member

After reading another post about rear diffs not fully locking I tried to make sure mine was all good. NOPE. haven’t taken the time to work thru troubleshooting it but it frustrates me. At least I know 4wd works.

OR17TRD likes this.
  17. OR17TRD

Where you in 4lo?

18. SCH

SCH Well-Known Member

Do you need to be? I’ve owned mine for a year and I’ve driven in 4wd every month but I didn’t know this.

19. OR17TRD

That’s how I locked it in. 4lo and go. I know if you haven’t locked it in ever or for a long time it can take up to a quarter mile of driving before it will lock in. Go slow turn a lot and reverse some can help.
    AGAIN ANOTHER REASON I USE MY @4wd SYSTEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE EVEN WHEN I DON’T REALLY NEED TO.
    You with me?
    #luv4wd
    #luvdug

SCH and Bogunn like this.
  20. OR17TRD

You see what I did there with the hash tags. ;)

whippersnapper02 and Bogunn like this.
  21. toywoodsguy82

toywoodsguy82 Well-Known Member

Yea I was in 4lo. Tried driving forward in my parking lot at work. Turning both ways. Just never locked in. I’ll get underneath it here soon and check the connection also.