DIY cross bars for 2011 taco bed rails

tacorval

Hey first time taco owner here. I've had my 2011 taco sport 4x4 for about 2 months now and I'm loving it. But I would like to make some cross bars in the bed. Mainly so my girlfriend and I can go camping.

My idea was to install some cross bars and make a collapsible wood platform that can easily be removed. So we can get our normal tent off the ground. And keep stuff in the bed relatively dry.
If you have any better ideas or suggestions give me a shout.

First time using the forum as well so I'm not 100% how it works...

Welcome. That sounds like a great idea. I honestly don’t know but give people time and they will chime in. Glad you gave the forum a look

This is the beginning of my plan. It has somewhat been altered in the process of making some of the pieces.

I'm using some 3/8 16 T-slot nuts that fit quite well in the track. 3/8 x 1" bolts on 3 washers per bolt. They are holding up a 9" piece of 1-1/2" angled steel bar. Then I'm going to bolt a 1-1/4" square steel bar to the angled piece. But I'm going to have the square bar sitting on top of side of the bed. Just so the weight of us (girlfriend, dog and I) don't put too much strain on track when we are sleeping in the tent.

Once I get all of the steel cut, drilled and weather treated. I will get some wood to make a platform that we can put the tent on. I'm hoping the steel bars and toolbox will hold the weight of us.

Also, I took of the fishing rod holders or as B.C. called them, rocket launchers. I will a piece for them that can hook on the tailgate or stick in the ground. So they are still being used but out of the way. IMG_20200223_184700379.jpegIMG_20200223_184714736.jpeg

I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product.
May do something similar in the future.

Back