Bojangles

Well i have to say i drive the truck once a week avg.... Maybe twice a month even.
This cold weather and that combined have given me some sluggish starts lately. Im not going out to check the age of my battery right now, but i dont think its more than 3yrs old.
Once i have driven for about half an hour, i can shut off the truck and it starts right up like a champ. I dont feel like doing an alternator r&r anytime soon.... I barely have over 100K miles.

So again another unseen purchase pops up.

I want to thank @whippersnapper02 , i sent him a PM here explaining the situation and thinking i needed a trickle charger. He quickly threw a link my way to a CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0-12 Volt Battery Charger. This thing sounds awesome and has good reviews, and Jay Leno uses it. Whipper as we know has two vehicles so i knew he musta ran into this issue before. This goes above and beyond a trickle charger

This would be considered battery "maintenance" so i threw it here...if i do a review, ill post that elsewhere.

I suspect this MIGHT have something to do with an initial rough (extremely subtle) idle. Either way ill still be doing sparkplugs soon, but this tender will save my battery and alternator.

If any of u dont regularly drive your vehicles, look into these.

Heres a snippet from their amazon sales page

*****CTEK battery chargers can desulphate, charge, recondition and maintain all types of vehicle batteries, including wet/flooded, calcium, gel, lithium (using CTEK lithium chargers), the latest Start-Stop AGM and EFB technology. A patented float and pulse maintenance strategy ensure that once fully charged, the battery is safely maintained at maximum capacity indefinitely by the charger, crucial to maximize battery lifespan.

Many CTEK battery chargers have a RECOND function. This function, in combination with the desulphation function, is able to restore capacity in many batteries that are otherwise unable to accept a charge. Rejuvenates deeply discharged batteries.*****

Btw i also suggest getting a credit card that allows you to put your utilities on it. I recently did that and used the points to offset this unscheduled purchase. Just pay off the balance in full! I mean utilities are things we pay every month, so why not get paid to....pay them?
Heck our printer ended up being free too lol.

Last edited:
Been using the CTEK for a few weeks now. The trucks been starting like new again and all is well.
I grew tired of popping the hood every time i was done driving (i never know if ill be driving once a month or once a week). The alligator clips we all know and have used (yeah even those) worked, but grew tiring. I wanted a way to charge the battery without popping the hood,fussing with alligator clips. Luckily the box the charger came in did supply a wire harness with eyelets for permanent connection to the battery.

Whipper again steered me to an extension cable made by the company with a weatherpack connector.

Today my buddy and i hooked the eyelets onto the battery and ground, ran thru firewall, up the kick panel, into the change holder on the left of the steering wheel. I then lazily (3hrs sleep) mounted the charger to the wall next to my truck. Now i just pop the change door open and click the connectors together. Done.
I always have my window down, so no big deal. Its actually a safety thing.. i cannot miss the fact the battery is charging and drive away ripping wiring apart.

So i went from popping the hood and arguing with clamps, to this.
You cant even see the eyelets in the pic of the battery.
20190307_114752.jpg 20190307_142041.jpg 20190307_133041.jpg 20190307_133031.jpg

Have you had luck with Neverstart batteries?
yep, I have never had one leave me stranded. This battery tender fiasco is 100% my fault for not driving much and the cold weather.
Ive used neverstarts for about 15yrs I think.
I also worked at wallyworld automotive section for about a year, installed plenty of them and I cant recall anyone griping about them.

YMMV

Been using the CTEK for a few weeks now. The trucks been starting like new again and all is well.
I grew tired of popping the hood every time i was done driving (i never know if ill be driving once a month or once a week). The alligator clips we all know and have used (yeah even those) worked, but grew tiring. I wanted a way to charge the battery without popping the hood,fussing with alligator clips. Luckily the box the charger came in did supply a wire harness with eyelets for permanent connection to the battery.

Whipper again steered me to an extension cable made by the company with a weatherpack connector.

Today my buddy and i hooked the eyelets onto the battery and ground, ran thru firewall, up the kick panel, into the change holder on the left of the steering wheel. I then lazily (3hrs sleep) mounted the charger to the wall next to my truck. Now i just pop the change door open and click the connectors together. Done.
I always have my window down, so no big deal. Its actually a safety thing.. i cannot miss the fact the battery is charging and drive away ripping wiring apart.

So i went from popping the hood and arguing with clamps, to this.
You cant even see the eyelets in the pic of the battery.
View attachment 24584 View attachment 24585 View attachment 24586 View attachment 24587
Pretty cool

Back