Engine repair...

sdueboay

Hey all...

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner, 2-wheel drive with a bit over 200,000 miles on the odometer. The body is in great shape and overall it's in good condition.... it's a Texas truck with zero rust. It's a "crew cab" style, with four full doors. It has the 5VZ FE V-6 engine in it. I bought it in its present condition. One of those friends going through a divorce kind of things and he needed the money quickly.

The engine got really hot and blew a hole in the radiator. The guy I bought it from says he has no idea how long it ran hot before the radiator blew. So I'm not sure if the heads or possibly the block is warped. After getting pricing for head work, gasket kit, new radiator hoses, water pump and all of the replaceable cooling components, it's going to be between $650 - $900 for parts and machine work, depending on what I have done and what brand of parts I buy.

I'm seriously considering just replacing the entire engine, considering the high mileage and the heating issues. My questions are, 1. Are there engines from different years that will bolt right into mine? If so, what years? Also, are the harnesses the same? What surprises will I encounter if I go the swap route?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I truly appreciate your help. I'm an old classic truck and car guy. The overhead cams and computerized vehicles have me a bit puzzled.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Steve

Hey all...

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner, 2-wheel drive with a bit over 200,000 miles on the odometer. The body is in great shape and overall it's in good condition.... it's a Texas truck with zero rust. It's a "crew cab" style, with four full doors. It has the 5VZ FE V-6 engine in it. I bought it in its present condition. One of those friends going through a divorce kind of things and he needed the money quickly.

The engine got really hot and blew a hole in the radiator. The guy I bought it from says he has no idea how long it ran hot before the radiator blew. So I'm not sure if the heads or possibly the block is warped. After getting pricing for head work, gasket kit, new radiator hoses, water pump and all of the replaceable cooling components, it's going to be between $650 - $900 for parts and machine work, depending on what I have done and what brand of parts I buy.

I'm seriously considering just replacing the entire engine, considering the high mileage and the heating issues. My questions are, 1. Are there engines from different years that will bolt right into mine? If so, what years? Also, are the harnesses the same? What surprises will I encounter if I go the swap route?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I truly appreciate your help. I'm an old classic truck and car guy. The overhead cams and computerized vehicles have me a bit puzzled.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Steve
I bought 5z for my 02 4x4 with under 50k miles straight from Japan and had it installed with new clutch for $4k. Motor cost was about $1500. Everything lined right up

Back