Finally swapped to 5100s

JRinTX83

Thought I would give a little advice to any TRD Sport owners out there. Do it! It’s not a different truck, but it’s made the ride quality much better. I kept the sport coils, and just changed to the 5100s. I raised it by one notch, so not much higher.

I just used the lower control arm to compress and decompress the springs up front, not too bad at all. Much less bouncy and more controlled. Highly recommend.

The rears are easy and self explanatory if you take the wheel off and have basic tools. The front was a little more of a pain, but I did exactly what this guy did in the video below, except I didn’t swap coils. I just reused the same coils.

Not too bad, but it def took all of 3 hours from tools out to cleanup finished. I didn’t remove the front skid plate, I just dropped the 2 bolts at the rear and let it hang down so I can get to the lower control arm bolt. In this video he used a few wobbles and extensions.

I actually made a trip to Autozone to get tools to compress the coils, but they didn’t work. I was just very careful when I compressed and decompressed the spring with my floor jack. I would say it was 100% worth the effort.

I only put 5100s on the front, yes. I put 4600s on the rear

I don't know much, so why did you put 4600s on the rear? Aren't they like OEM?

What do you think the ride would be with 5100 on the back? My truck tends to bounce to the side when going over a bump.Would one of these fix that?

I don't know much, so why did you put 4600s on the rear? Aren't they like OEM?

What do you think the ride would be with 5100 on the back? My truck tends to bounce to the side when going over a bump.Would one of these fix that?

The 4600s are def not like stock. I’ve had them on all four corners of previous trucks and they were great. I think they’re a little softer than the 5100s but not by much. Either one would be an upgrade. People tend to call the bilsteins on the TRD off-road 4600s. This is incorrect. They’re very different. I think either one would fix your problem, but after how great the 5100s are, I think I would use them if I were you.

Got the 5100s front and back with OEM springs. I think the ride is better but not overwhelmingly better.

However, the wife thinks they make the truck ride much smoother. And that's worth the price.

Got the 5100s front and back with OEM springs. I think the ride is better but not overwhelmingly better.

However, the wife thinks they make the truck ride much smoother. And that's worth the price.

Do you have a Sport, Off-road, or what? I’m surprised you don’t think it’s a big difference. Mine is a 4x4 sport.

Thought I would give a little advice to any TRD Sport owners out there. Do it! It’s not a different truck, but it’s made the ride quality much better. I kept the sport coils, and just changed to the 5100s. I raised it by one notch, so not much higher.

I just used the lower control arm to compress and decompress the springs up front, not too bad at all. Much less bouncy and more controlled. Highly recommend.
What did you do with your sport shocks? Been trying to get rid of mine since I bought the truck. Guess they are too stiff for most just like you and me.

Back