Flat leaf springs

Discussion in '1995 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma' started by Hotdog, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Hotdog

Hotdog Member

I noticed on my 2001 TRD offroad my rear leaf springs have virtually no curve to them. I noticed on a few others like mine they also have flat ones. Is this standard design? Or is it because they all are old? lol

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. NapalmTRD

NapalmTRD Well-Known Member

This is an outrage!! Flat leaf springs?!? No bueno, ese!! Flat springs are like flat chests... No bounce!! :)
    Of course, some women have so much bounce, they are like flat leaf springs as well... In need of support!! :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  4. PinkTaco

PinkTaco Well-Known Member

Put a picture up your overload spring is always kinda flat

5. TacomaLoverExtroa9681

TacomaLoverExtroa9681 Well-Known Member

Hotdog,
    Is your 2001 a double cab? You probably are in need of a new rear suspension.

6. OP
    Hotdog

Hotdog Member

Yes its a double cab. I will try to post a pic of them the first nice day I get.

7. TacomaLoverExtroa9681

TacomaLoverExtroa9681 Well-Known Member

Hotdog,
    Send me a private message with your contact information, and I will send you a picture of how mine sits. Mine is a completely stock 1999 SR5 Extra-Cab four wheel drive with a 5-Speed. The only suspension modification I have made is I put Rancho RS 5000 shocks and struts when I first got it eleven years ago. Unfortunately, it is at my dad's house right now because my wife and I are doing some work in the backyard and garage and we don't have room for it at the time. It doesn't sit flat in the rear. It is strange if you are having trouble with your rear being flat because double cabs generally are not used for hauling because the bed is so tiny.
    Take it easy,
    Paul

8. Caleb

Caleb Well-Known Member

Mine sit flat that’s kind of how there supposed to sit

9. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Just bumping around & saw this old thread...

Leafs should never be flat or devoid of any ARC, at that point it's not much of a spring anymore & unfortunately the Tacoma has been plagued with weak ,soft springs since it's beginning (1995.5)..

Bogunn likes this.