Front tire chains

Wrasmussen

I do a lot of off roading in southwest co hunting and trapping through the winter. I picked up a 04 Tacoma and noticed at full lock my tire barely clears the UCA I have third gen Tacoma wheels on it. I’m going to go to my tire size I like to run for snow a 235/85/16 I’m wondering if I will clear aggressive chains or if I will need a spacer.

OK.....couple questions.

Where is the Southwest Co?
What does your Owner's Manual say about chains on the front tires? I suspect the OM does not support using chains on the front tires.
How much distance is "....barely clears the UCA..."?

Remember, when the tire is rotating the chains tend to separate from the tire due to centrifugal forces. This separation can easily wipe out tie rods, stabilizer links, brake lines, ABS wires..... You need more clearance when rolling than when sitting still.

Co = Colorado

i've not been to that area in the wintertime to know much about the terrain

how much are tire chains for an old Taco?

i saw plenty of signs for the chain area in Wyoming and Montana recently and was intrigued o_O

Just bought a Tacoma and the dealer said they recommend cables instead of chains. Tire type might make a big difference. On my old Xterra I never had to chain up with BFG KO/KO2's. I wasn't hardcore offroading but did hit some fire roads in the snow and iced up paved roads.

All I know about chains is I have them on my tractor for the winter. Those suckers are a bit loose an whip around. Occasionally you can hear them contacting the fenders.

The best thing to do is contact the chain manufacturer. They'll want to know what tire/size and info on the wheel including the offset.

Back