Future Tacoma Owner Looking For Some Insight

ZOOROPA

Hey Tacoma Forum! I have finally decided that my first truck purchase, to accommodate my lifestyle and hobbies, will be a Tacoma. A friend of mine in PA school had one, and it sparked my interest. I've always been a Nissan Z guy (own a beautiful '96 300zx), but I need a truck, and Nissan just doesn't have an attractive truck that holds their value. So I'm embracing Toyota and the Tacoma nation!

Just like my Z forum, I know this forum holds loads of insider information from guys who live and breath these trucks. So my main question for you guys is, what do I need to look for when buying a used Tacoma? Just like my Z, I'm sure there are some years that have had issues or additions to note. I'm looking for a 4.0 L V6, extended cab 4X4, with the shorter bed.

I'm fully embracing this truck and look forward to learning from you guys! I will appreciate any insight you have. Thanks!

Hey Tacoma Forum! I have finally decided that my first truck purchase, to accommodate my lifestyle and hobbies, will be a Tacoma. A friend of mine in PA school had one, and it sparked my interest. I've always been a Nissan Z guy (own a beautiful '96 300zx), but I need a truck, and Nissan just doesn't have an attractive truck that holds their value. So I'm embracing Toyota and the Tacoma nation!

Just like my Z forum, I know this forum holds loads of insider information from guys who live and breath these trucks. So my main question for you guys is, what do I need to look for when buying a used Tacoma? Just like my Z, I'm sure there are some years that have had issues or additions to note. I'm looking for a 4.0 L V6, extended cab 4X4, with the shorter bed.

I'm fully embracing this truck and look forward to learning from you guys! I will appreciate any insight you have. Thanks!
Welcome. We are all here to help in anyway we can. You made the right choice. Are you looking for used or new? If you go used make sure all the recalls have been done if there were any for that year. And sometimes you can get a new one for a couple thousand more over the used one. That's how well they hold their resale value. Keeps us posted and if you get one put some pics up.

Thanks, I'm glad you guys are willing to help. I literally NEVER thought I would say I would want to/ own a truck. But my hobbies demand it. with that said, I absolutely love Tacomas! I'm most likely going to buy used, as I want to put some money into the truck. I don't think they need much, but I'm sure I'll find a reason to sling a wrench soon after I buy one. I'm one of those who can't leave a car/truck stock. I've got to put my touch on things.

So what were some of the major recalls that you know of? Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks, I'm glad you guys are willing to help. I literally NEVER thought I would say I would want to/ own a truck. But my hobbies demand it. with that said, I absolutely love Tacomas! I'm most likely going to buy used, as I want to put some money into the truck. I don't think they need much, but I'm sure I'll find a reason to sling a wrench soon after I buy one. I'm one of those who can't leave a car/truck stock. I've got to put my touch on things.

So what were some of the major recalls that you know of? Thanks again for the reply.

One of the big ones is the frame rust, I've had no problems with this as it doesn't effect my truck... Besides that the rear leaf springs is the only other that comes to mind... Again I don't know much about it, my truck wasn't affected by it

One of the big ones is the frame rust, I've had no problems with this as it doesn't effect my truck... Besides that the rear leaf springs is the only other that comes to mind... Again I don't know much about it, my truck wasn't affected by it
Good call. Don't forget about the gas pedal. Lol.

Swap for a K&N air filter in the air box to increase your mileage after the break-in period for the filter. Just wipe up any excess oil on the filter and drop that bad boy in. My break-in period was around 3-4 fill-ups before I started getting 400+ miles per tank. Once you start seeing a decrease in fuel consumption back to stock, it's time for a good system cleaning. Just don't throw away the old air filter as you may need it if you get the itch to go anywhere during the occasional K&N filter cleanings every 40-50k miles depending on what conditions you're driving in.

Wait for it...

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Great insight. Were there specific years that frame rust/leaf spring/gas pedal issues were most prevalent?

I'm still learning the different packages too. Basically, I'm just looking for a crew cab with a shorter bed and four wheel drive. I was over at the dealership this afternoon (they were closed) and I was looking over a few they had on their lot. Seems like some had blue rear struts while others had black. I'm assuming some have different suspension set ups. I will be driving mainly on the road, but I will be pulling a small boat and trailer at some point, and I'm sure I'll find and excuse for the four wheel drive ;). Are there any packages that are a solid choice?

Thanks guys! Great insight. Were there specific years that frame rust/leaf spring/gas pedal issues were most prevalent?

I'm still learning the different packages too. Basically, I'm just looking for a crew cab with a shorter bed and four wheel drive. I was over at the dealership this afternoon (they were closed) and I was looking over a few they had on their lot. Seems like some had blue rear struts while others had black. I'm assuming some have different suspension set ups. I will be driving mainly on the road, but I will be pulling a small boat and trailer at some point, and I'm sure I'll find and excuse for the four wheel drive ;). Are there any packages that are a solid choice?
Your off road and sport pkg will have Bilstien shocks. That's the blue and yellow your seeing on some that you looked at. Better then the basic Tacoma. Better ride. You can always upgrade shocks.

I just bought a used 2007 as my first Taco. I don't have much to contribute to your thread since I'm also new but I want to subscribe to the thread to see if I should have done more homework first. :)

This is what I brought home 2 days ago. 2007 double cab short bed with an auto transmission and 4x4. It's also sporting a 3" toytec lift. It has 195k miles on it but seems to have been serviced correctly by the single owner. I'm not sure if the leaf springs were recalled (and replaced) or not. Not even sure how to tell aside from contacting Toyota with the VIN#. Good luck in your search! This is my first truck and I'm enjoying it. It doesn't even suck to park at the grocery store. ;)

Definitely check around on the prices. Tacomas are like Harley's and jeeps. Their resale value is high. When I was looking for mine I could get a 13 with 35k miles for 21thousand or get a new 15 for 22,500. No brainier which way I went.

Negligence on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part

Back