Hard Down Shift at Stop

Anyone experienced a hard drop to first gear when at a stop? I’ve noticed that after coming to a stop, especially w/ AC on, after a few seconds there’s a hard thunk. My 4Runner did this and it was a flaw in the code for the tranny. I’m assuming it’s the same here.

Thanks Everybody

Does it happen when you have to stop quickly? I thought I was getting axle wrap but sometimes when I have to stop quick it is almost as if I stop before the transmission drops to first gear and it does a jolt forward, as if I were rear ended to put it into 1st gear.

My 06 trd pre runner does this also but i have a check engine light on for the sensor on trans and no reverse lights from it but doing same as yours at a stop hard 1st after stopping almost 2 or 3 sec after already at complete stop

I think it’s just a truck thing. I had a brand new F-150 a few years ago that did the same thing. My 16’ TRD off road does it too.

Axle wrap. Come to a more gradual stop and it will lessen. As you hold the brake to slow down, the inertia kinda builds pressure in the drive train which the bigger gears can handle, but locks up first gear a bit so when you finally come to stop or the inertia is less than the force needed to lock it up, it finally shifts under that load

Haven't noticed it on my 2020. Sometimes changing the atf, especially if its been awhile, will make the transmission shift smoother again.

I'm with @tacojoel. Try a fluid and filter change on the tranny.

Do not pay for a transmission flush. This flush process is known to cause more trouble than it solves.

On a side note. Its difficult to offer more guidance. You have not given any details about mileage, engine, transmission, year, service..........

It was low transmission fluid for me. As JustCody was saying, the inertia builds pressure in the drivetrain so you need high pressure to downshift but if fluid is low you will have low pressure.

Back