Help with new-to-me Tacoma

Elly

I recently purchased a '95 Tacoma with about 219k miles.
It's a 2.4L L4 SOHC 16V auto 2WD

I was told the fuel pump was recently replaced, I have no reason to doubt it since they went through the bed to get to it rather than dropping the tank. It was struggling to start on occasion, I'd have to crank it repeatedly to get it started. A few days ago I noticed that every so often when I hit the gas the acceleration is sub par. I mean, I could have the pedal on the floor and it is barely gaining speed. It's not consistent, one day it will only do it once and another day I can barely drive the damn thing. Yesterday, the starter went. Today, I replaced the starter and it started right up, very smoothly, but the acceleration problem is still very prominent. Any ideas??
Thanks in advance!

Elly

BTW it just barely passed emissions/smog test four days ago

Last edited:
I recently purchased a '95 Tacoma with about 219k miles.
It's a 2.4L L4 SOHC 16V auto 2WD

I was told the fuel pump was recently replaced, I have no reason to doubt it since they went through the bed to get to it rather than dropping the tank. It was struggling to start on occasion, I'd have to crank it repeatedly to get it started. A few days ago I noticed that every so often when I hit the gas the acceleration is sub par. I mean, I could have the pedal on the floor and it is barely gaining speed. It's not consistent, one day it will only do it once and another day I can barely drive the damn thing. Yesterday, the starter went. Today, I replaced the starter and it started right up, very smoothly, but the acceleration problem is still very prominent. Any ideas??
Thanks in advance!

Elly

BTW it just barely passed emissions/smog test four days ago

If the fuel pump was replaced it might be dirty fuel injectors. Over 200k miles they may need cleaning.

Sounds like the Cat is stopping up. Put a test pipe on and see if it helps. If the CAT is clogged it should lost power on hill and run on the level okay. Also the engine will run hot on hills and cool off downhill.

Back