[QUOTE="whippersnapper02, post: 46983, member:hear ]Normal engine sound. The fast clicking that sounds like a retractable pen is the injectors.[/QUOTE]
Thanks man, appreciate the response. Glad y o hear it

Hey Jacobbryant,

How the hell are you? So, I am listening to your video of your 1998 Tacoma with the 3.4. You did not say if your engine is functioning properly or not. The tick sounds a little loud and annoying to me, and I have the exact same rig without any tick. Whippersnapper suggested it might be one of your injectors making the noise, and he could be correct. Are you running synthetic oil in your rig? Have you thought about taking the manifold off and cleaning out the injectors? How many miles does the Tacoma have on it? These 3.4 Liter V6 engines are solid lifters so you might need to adjust the valve lifters.

Good Luck.

Paul

[QUOPaul TacomaLoverExtroa9681, post: 47004, member: 5856"]Hey Jacobbryant,

How the hell are you? So, I am listening to your video of your 1998 Tacoma with the 3.4. You did not say if your engine is functioning properly or not. The tick sounds a little loud and annoying to me, and I have the exact same rig without any tick. Whippersnapper suggested it might be one of your injectors making the noise, and he could be correct. Are you running synthetic oil in your rig? Have you thought about taking the manifold off and cleaning out the injectors? How many miles does the Tacoma have on it? These 3.4 Liter V6 engines are solid lifters so you might need to adjust the valve lifters.

Good Luck.

Paul[/QUOTE]
Hey paul I'm good . It runs and drives just fine, very peppy indeed. I'm using 5w-30 synthetic blend. I have run injector cleaner through it with no luck. I also have high mileage stp oil treatment in it. Just changed the oil like 30 miles ago. I have 268,000 on my truck.

Hey Jacobby,

I am glad to hear your rig is running fine. Okay, so you have quite a bit of miles on your 1998 from what you told the forum. How long have you had the rig? My family's Tacoma does not have as many miles on it as your rig. It has 165,000 miles showing on the odometer.
The 5VZ-FE 3.4 Liter Toyota V6 is a great motor, and they are very capable of going for an extraordinarily large amount of miles when properly cared for. The first thing I would do to try and eliminate the ticking sound is have a reputable mechanic listen to your motor. They will be able to determine if the noisy tick is injector noise or valve clatter. If your engine does get diagnosed as having valve clatter than please remember that this is an ugly job so don't attempt it unless you are an above average amateur mechanic. Doing this will also get your valve cover gaskets replaced, and they probably need to be replaced at this point in time.

Good Luck.
Paul

P.S. I sent you some contact information if you want to talk about this personally.

Back