Key fob (remote) reset and bizarre dealer behavior

owl

I was wondering if anyone here might be able to shed some light on why the dealer might have reset my key fob on my 2009 Tacoma, or what else might explain what happened.

To make a long story short, the dealer had made some mistakes servicing my truck, including overfilling the oil. They claimed by 3/4 quart, I only observed that it was substantially over the full line, over an inch maybe less than two. No check engine light had come on, I had just checked the level since they had messed other things up so I was reviewing what I could.

Nothing confrontational happened in getting this (and the other matters) resolved, but perhaps they were annoyed with me, I don't know. In any case, as I was walking out to pick up my truck, I instinctively tried my key fob (which I had retained in my pocket while they were servicing the truck -- I had only handed them the key) and it didn't work. It had worked continuously for 11 years up until that time, including the morning before I drove to the dealer.

I immediately brought this up to the service representative, and asked how that could happen. He said it happens sometimes, and that he was with my truck the whole time and nobody did anything to it except fix the problems (which did not require messing with the truck's computer). He wanted me to come back again (this would be the 3rd time) to get that fixed. I asked whether maybe the wash they did had damaged the wiring or key fob receiver, and that was immediately discounted. He took my key fob to replace the battery (I didn't watch him do it), but that didn't resolve the issue (unsurprisingly to me -- why would the battery die at that exact time?).

I did not accept that, and asked to talk to a wiring expert at their shop and he got the service manager who immediately, without speaking to me, set to reprogramming my fob. Surprisingly, this took about 20m. In the last 5m he asked for the fob to program it, I have no idea what he was doing for the first 15m but he had the computer plugged into my ODB port and was doing something the whole time. When finished he said my other fobs should still have their programming, which I thought was strange -- how could only the fob I had in my pocket be reset?

When he was done I asked how this could have happened and he gave me a kind of blank stare and just repeated something along the lines that it didn't matter because it worked now. He suggested we could get into all kinds of "conspiracy theories" but it worked now.

I escalated this to the management, telling them the story and saying I wanted to know what happened to my truck. Their position is that this randomly happens sometimes but it wasn't they who did it. I find that difficult to believe and told them so.

So my question is:

1. Is this random key fob resetting really a thing?

2. Am I mistaken for thinking their story is grossly improbable?

3. If they reset it, how did they do so, and why?

1. I personally have not heard of key fobs going haywire and specifically at such timing. I'm paranoid, but I would change the codes on all your key fobs and keys, just for peace of mind.

2. I think a bit... someone else that worked in mechanic shops would have a better answer.

3. Probably had a mini vci cable and toyota techstream software.

If I were you, I'd buy the correct cable, download the techstream software, and reprogram your fobs and keys (if they require programming). I believe you would also be able to see the history inside the software of what was changed to the car. Hopefully this gives you some peace of mind!

Reactions: owl
Back