Knocking noise the the passenger side firewall?

mattjw09

Hey everyone! I recently just bought a 2016 TRD sport Tacoma. The truck has been taken care of very well. It’s by far the best vehicle I’ve owned. However there are some issues I’m a little worried about.

I did get an extended warranty since it was a significant purchase for me since I’m still in student debt and will be for a while. I needed a new and reliable vehicle after I got my new job as an airline pilot and many years of college and flight instructing and I know Tacoma’s have been very reliable. It’s just this slight noise that has me a bit worried.

There is a ticking noise which I know is the notorious “taco tick” which I’ve been told and have read about are the fuel injectors but I also seem to have this slight knocking noise. It’s near the passenger side firewall. This is the noise that worries me. I test drove another Tacoma that is the same year that had the same noise. I’ve been told that it is the high pressure fuel pump making this noise.

Any thought or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yea I’ve got a couple of videos but for some reason it will only let me post pictures on here. Stand by I’ll figure it out.

Here’s a video of it. Also it doesn’t seem to do it when it’s cold but as it warms up it’s more noticeable.

Last edited:
Look at the stuff wrote bird under the hood Toyota fixed mine under warranty. Haven’t had a problem since.

That’s why I’ve been told. It’s just not normal to me and it has had me worried. Thanks for the quick reply. I hope that’s all it is because I love this truck. Lol

You know how diesels make their noise? That's all high pressure fuel pump as well. The new engine is running higher fuel pressures but they aren't diesel levels so it just isn't as loud of the same noise.

I didn’t go to any major aviation schools I went to a 141 program in Arkansas called Henderson. It was cheaper but I paid for it all my self. So it was still expensive. Haha

Are you still in Arkansas? If so where?

Back