Left My Taco in Santa Fe

OkieCowboy

I said good bye to my Taco Saturday. A 90 year old woman was taking her sick cat to the vet when it puked in her lap. She never saw my parked Tacoma. Imagine my surprise when we returned from lunch to find fire trucks, police cars and an ambulance in front of the house we rented for the weekend. I thought we burned up something then I saw the front of the Taco sticking out in the street. The lady was taken to the hospital and released.

Now after all of my complaining about the transmission, it is time to put up or shut up. I will drive both of the GM twins and the 2018 Tacoma. I am still leaning toward the Tacoma.

Thoughts? .IMG_0965.jpgIMG_0969.jpgView attachment 18940

It's not repairable? Unless the frame is jacked up, it looks like mostly body damage and some suspension items?

I drove a Colorado, a Frontier, and a Taco before settling on a 2018 OR Taco Manual.

The Chevy was honestly more comfortable, and better equipped. But, it's more expensive. Especially once you start looking at the duramax diesel one, because that's the one you honestly want.

The Frontier was the best bang for your buck, but if you are tall like me, the driving position is kinda odd. And the model is in dire need of a refresh. On the plus side, it's the only one available with a manual aside from a short bed taco.

I ended up with an 18 Off Road. Once the lease is up, I may seriously consider a Colorado + duramax depending on what the models look like in a few years. Or I might just keep my 18 because manual transmission.

Only difference between the Canyon and Colorado is that the GMC has a nicer interior, and a higher price tag. Otherwise, they feel the same.

Are you sure it’s totaled?
I’d get another Taco, but that’s me. Drive them, see what you like.
The new Ranger will be out within a couple of months probably. And the new Nissan reboot of the Frontier is rumored to be out this fall for the 2019 model. It’s supposed to go off the design of the Nissan Navara (European Nissan Truck) if I’m not mistaken.

IMG_0976.jpgThe cat survived and the driver received stitches. I spoke with her before she was transported to the hospital to let her know we were concerned about her. My 93 year old mother was helping get things out of my truck. Well, more like moral support. She made the trip from Oklahoma for my nephew’s wedding. She still drives.

I have read on the forums about incidents like these and how the owners wanted their vehicles replaced. Now I am one of those. The truck was shoved 10 feet forward. The steering wheel was turned 1/4 turn to the left. The rear axle was moved forward. The bed did damage to the cab. I am concerned about damages to the transmission. Then the loss of value because of the accident. I contacted my insurance company but the real work will begin today.

So the police were interested in the pistols I had in the truck. One of the officers pointed to his service pistol and said “Good choice.” My sister told them why we were in Santa Fe and invited them to the wedding. Three of them showed up and brought me patches from the Santa Fe Police Department. I have had a lot of interaction with police officers and police departments through my career and I must say everyone of the officers at the scene were truly top notch.

I found three silver Tacos in our area that have the packages I want. No white. We will see what happens.

Well dang! Glad the cat lady is OK! The frame might be ok but I'd be concerned about how far the drive shaft was crammed into the transmission. Could've busted the tail-housing, ah well,... let us know what happens.

+1 on a manual Tacoma, it really is like a completely different truck than the autos.

View attachment 18941The cat survived and the driver received stitches. I spoke with her before she was transported to the hospital to let her know we were concerned about her. My 93 year old mother was helping get things out of my truck. Well, more like moral support. She made the trip from Oklahoma for my nephew’s wedding. She still drives.

I have read on the forums about incidents like these and how the owners wanted their vehicles replaced. Now I am one of those. The truck was shoved 10 feet forward. The steering wheel was turned 1/4 turn to the left. The rear axle was moved forward. The bed did damage to the cab. I am concerned about damages to the transmission. Then the loss of value because of the accident. I contacted my insurance company but the real work will begin today.

So the police were interested in the pistols I had in the truck. One of the officers pointed to his service pistol and said “Good choice.” My sister told them why we were in Santa Fe and invited them to the wedding. Three of them showed up and brought me patches from the Santa Fe Police Department. I have had a lot of interaction with police officers and police departments through my career and I must say everyone of the officers at the scene were truly top notch.

I found three silver Tacos in our area that have the packages I want. No white. We will see what happens.
That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Always hate to see Toyota on Toyota carnage! Glad to hear she is okay, at 90 the body doesn't flex like when we are younger. Keep us posted on the rest of the story.

Back