Lift opinions

Recently had the 5100’s and new bfg’s installed on my Trd off-road Tacoma. Looks better! Ride is very rough! I lowered the tire pressure and has helped. This is my first Tacoma. I’ve had 2 tundras prior...so downsizing to a Tacoma has been quite the change for me! any recommendations on a way to lift truck no more than 2 “to 3” and receive a better ride on pavement since this is my daily driver?

Recently had the 5100’s and new bfg’s installed on my Trd off-road Tacoma. Looks better! Ride is very rough! I lowered the tire pressure and has helped. This is my first Tacoma. I’ve had 2 tundras prior...so downsizing to a Tacoma has been quite the change for me! any recommendations on a way to lift truck no more than 2 “to 3” and receive a better ride on pavement since this is my daily driver?
Replace the front coils with OME 887 set the bilstein 5100’s to 0.

Odds are load range E tires?
How low is the psi now?

As said above, use lift coils...ome or eibach
Lower 5100s to zero
Get new uca

Replace the front coils with OME 887 set the bilstein 5100’s to 0.

Keep in mind, mixing OME and Bilstein voids both of their warranties. Both manufacturers specifically state they are not intended to be used together. If you plan to use them together and want to have a warranty, they have to be purchased together and assembled by the vendor and the vendor has to state they replace the lost warranty themselves.
If you don’t care about a warranty... well then... whatever. But this is a public forum. And if you use them together, you’ve given the manufacturer all the information they need to deny a warranty claim.

IMG_4339.jpg

This is one of the vendors from a Tacoma FB page that states they cover the lost warranty.

I had adj Bils and LD OME coils set on the lowest setting and didn’t like it. I don’t think the the shocks are valved properly to work with heavier springs and not adding the extra weight they’re designed for,like a bumper and winch, didn’t feel right. Without the weight the 700lb (or so) springs felt like a sling shot on the rebound and is the reason I bought new shocks and Moog factory replacement springs. I threw out the old springs so I had them on a while which is why I bought new shocks when I finally replaced them

I had adj Bils and LD OME coils set on the lowest setting and didn’t like it. I don’t think the the shocks are valved properly to work with heavier springs and not adding the extra weight they’re designed for,like a bumper and winch, didn’t feel right. Without the weight the 700lb (or so) springs felt like a sling shot on the rebound and is the reason I bought new shocks and Moog factory replacement springs. I threw out the old springs so I had them on a while which is why I bought new shocks when I finally replaced them

Didnt realize u guys are supposed to run the heavier coils..

Hmm, the 886 and above have had many companies in the past indeed suggest not pairing with 5100s on second gens.

3rd gen 5100s arent valved correctly yet?

In that case, id also make sure the correct ome shocks were used... they have 2 options for 3rd gens right?

Last edited:
What coil did you use? 886?

Last edited:
Have to check it was a few years ago and when I did it there was no option for it so no need for proper valving cause it wasn’t the intended use, some of us were just trying different combos to see if it worked out. I threw out my stock coils a little too soon and kept the OME setup
I don’t know if that’s changed, but next time going for a full coilover designed for the purpose

Last edited:
Have to check it was a few years ago and when I did it there was no option for it so no need for proper valving cause it wasn’t the intended use, some of us were just trying different combos to see if it worked out. I threw out my stock coils a little too soon and kept the OME setup
I don’t know if that’s changed, but next time going for a full coilover designed for the purpose
Kings :)

For a Frontier the coils are a different number, I think thats just the Nissan designation, but the light duty are the 607 and Heavy duty are 608. I had the 607 which are rated at about 100lbs over stock and they were stiff enough that I actually ran with the sway bar off for a while to soften it up a bit.

OR17, I notice you always mention the Kings, are they that much better than Icons ? Radflo is the dominant brand for the Nissan guys, with a lot of Bilsteins and an occasional King but I haven't really heard much about them... Only reason I was thinking Icon is because I spoke to a few people who have them on Tacomas and are very happy with their performance over stock. I could be persuaded....

For a Frontier the coils are a different number, I think thats just the Nissan designation, but the light duty are the 607 and Heavy duty are 608. I had the 607 which are rated at about 100lbs over stock and they were stiff enough that I actually ran with the sway bar off for a while to soften it up a bit.

OR17, I notice you always mention the Kings, are they that much better than Icons ? Radflo is the dominant brand for the Nissan guys, with a lot of Bilsteins and an occasional King but I haven't really heard much about them... Only reason I was thinking Icon is because I spoke to a few people who have them on Tacomas and are very happy with their performance over stock. I could be persuaded....

Id suggest starting a thread with your trucks exact info, your budget, and your needs.

Thus easier to update relevant info for YOUR rig based on your provided info.

Itll be easier to go back to, and less sorting out of other builds/needs.

As it is, your throwing nissan part numbers around about a tacoma from what im reading, guessing at what u had on a nissan and saying its rough on a tacoma too right?

Seriously, 10x easier to start a new thread based on your tacoma with all info about model and any weight added via armor or such.

Lets add more **** to the fire 1st tho.

U probly didnt hear much about king because they are the bentley of offroad coilovers and command the price.
U heard and hear alot about bilsteins because they are super cheap.

Id suggest starting a thread with your trucks exact info, your budget, and your needs.

As it is, your throwing nissan part numbers around about a tacoma from what im reading, guessing at what u had on a nissan and saying its rough on a tacoma too right?

Seriously, 10x easier to start a new thread based on your tacoma with all info about model and any weight added via armor or such.

Only stating my results with the products in question, similar application and use... I dont have a Tacoma yet to start a build thread, but very anxious to :)

Only stating my results with the products in question, similar application and use... I dont have a Tacoma yet to start a build thread, but very anxious to :)

So basically the first post above is moot as u have never had any suspension issues on a tacoma right?
Gotta start over fresh here, we were trying to help u with a phantom tacoma with a stiff ome ride lmfao.

Welcome to the fritterdomeIMG_0635.JPG

All true, but no fire.. and still no truck

You're not helping me with anything, Im not the OP. I used the same product on a similar weight truck and had less than favorable results. Info for the OP... not asking any questions here.

You're not helping me with anything, Im not the OP. I used the same product on a similar weight truck and had less than favorable results. Info for the OP... not asking any questions here.
Tacoma is nothing like the Nissan you’re comparing it to. It’s really making it worse.

Back