Locking gas cap

garmig10

2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
Does anyone have a locking gas cap for their Tacoma? I called the dealer and they don't offer one. The auto part stores don't yet offer one for the 2016 model.

Last edited:
So no one steals my gasoline or worse pour sugar in the tank. Call me paranoid i guess.

They can't siphon gas out of the tank as there is a baffle in the filler neck. They can put a pan under the tank and punch a whole in it with a screwdriver.

Sugar doesn't dissolve in gas, so the much repeated myth about sugar destroying an engine is false. I have seen sugar dumped into a tank and all over the ground. The owner had to pay a few bucks to have the tank cleaned out. More damage could have been done in less time with hammer. If the person wanting payback against the owner of that car had simply plunged a jackhandle through the grill and trashed the evaporator and radiator and possibly the trans cooler, it would have been much more expensive to replace.

True story!! I just got my new truck 2016 last month, well i go to get in it 2-weeks ago and the engine light is on and the traction control is on. So what did i do? I went right to the dealer to find out what the hell is wrong with my new truck, long story short, someone had loosened the gas cap causing those 2 lights to come on. I know it wasnt me because i always install my cap correctly, and also i was showing a 1/4 tank at that time. So the lights would gave came on along time ago if i had done it. Only thing i can think of is that someone tried to siphon gas from my tank? Wish i would of had a lockable cap, would have saved me 3hrs of my life going to the Toyota Dealer at 4:00 in the afternoon.

True story!! I just got my new truck 2016 last month, well i go to get in it 2-weeks ago and the engine light is on and the traction control is on. So what did i do? I went right to the dealer to find out what the hell is wrong with my new truck, long story short, someone had loosened the gas cap causing those 2 lights to come on. I know it wasnt me because i always install my cap correctly, and also i was showing a 1/4 tank at that time. So the lights would gave came on along time ago if i had done it. Only thing i can think of is that someone tried to siphon gas from my tank? Wish i would of had a lockable cap, would have saved me 3hrs of my life going to the Toyota Dealer at 4:00 in the afternoon.
Sometimes they just want to steal the gas cap

My Transmission was low 1.5 pints of fluid.::::: Y'all better have yours checked since adding fluid no more problems with reverse to drive - delay

Tacoma 2016 4x4 off road- Air leak on drivers door and passengers door on windy days. Iam certain it's not the mirrors.::::: It's door seals.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wating on recall. I wonder how long that's going to take.????????????

Bucky99 I had that problem with my 2015. Super loud on the freeway! Replaced the passenger side and a week later started making the same noise on the drivers. Super annoying for a $35k vehicle.
Dealer will replace under warranty

You can defeat those Stant caps by pushing down hard while turning it. There is a screen in the filler neck to prevent siphoning. If someone really wants your gas they will just drill a hole in the tank.

Sugar just clogs the fuel filter.

Last edited:
Back