Looking to Buy a Tacoma

jk70

I currently tow a pop up camper with my Minivan (yeah, I know but a great practical car). Anyway, I am thinking of moving up to a Tacoma. Need a double cab but unsure what would be the best packages:

- I will tow with it so the V6 tow package makes sense but if I got the TRD off road or sport would it automatically be part of one of those packages?

- This will also be used for driving around town but I would love to take it off road at times. That being said, in reality I probably wouldn't go off road as much as I think, maybe a few times per year. So, should I even consider the Off Road version?

- Also, if I didn't go off road too much would I need the 4x4 or just the 4x2?

- Anything else would be much appreciated

Last edited:
If your planning on doing barely any off-road ing, you don't need off-road version, any Tacoma with 4x4 would be sufficient for the job. I have the sport which has the added looks such as color keyed grill, bumper, and mirrors, but it all depend on what your really looking for. My sport has the tow package so id assume all do or at least most. The other difference between the off-road and sport are just some minor things that don't really matter unless your into off-roading, but if your looking for a great everyday Tacoma with some off-road capabilities definitely go with the sport or any Tacoma with 4x4.

I currently tow a pop up camper with my Minivan (yeah, I know but a great practical car). Anyway, I am thinking of moving up to a Tacoma. Need a double cab but unsure what would be the best packages:

- I will tow with it so the V6 tow package makes sense but if I got the TRD off road or sport would it automatically be part of one of those packages?

- This will also be used for driving around town but I would love to take it off road at times. That being said, in reality I probably wouldn't go off road as much as I think, maybe a few times per year. So, should I even consider the Off Road version?

- Also, if I didn't go off road too much would I need the 4x4 or just the 4x2?

- Anything else would be much appreciated
I'd get the TRD towing package comes with it, if you want to occasionally go off-road I'd also have it in the 4x4.

Not all models come with the tow pkg. you can have a base 4x4 w/out it. Since you tow a camper I'd get the off road pkg. but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the replies. This may be a stupid question but can I assume that if one has the hitch and pin connector in the pics that it has the towing package?

Don't know how often you tow and how heavy the camper is, but a longer wheel base is better for towing, that being said, the only down side to the off road package is it is not available on a double cab long bed, you can only get the off road in the double can short bed... Sport package is available in DCLB or DCSB

Thanks. I would only want the short bed anyway. Now, if the resale on these things weren't so expensive...but I guess that's a good thing
It is. Sometimes it's better to spend an extra 2-3k for a new one over a newer used one. Warranty and APR will be better on a new one. Keep us posted and good luck

You don't have to get the TRD off road or sport to get the tow package. You can get it on the base. In fact, most that I looked at before purchasing had the tow package. I'm in Northern California so that may be a reason for most having tow package.

If you can, definitely buy new. Due to the high resale value & low availability the used will cost just as much as new.

2wd vs 4wd: you'll have to decide your comfort level.

The Double Cab Short Bed (DCSB) will generally be avail in 3 configurations. SR5, TRD Sport & TRD Off-Road.
All 3 will have Toyota's STAR safety system (ABS, traction control, electronic brake assist, electronic brake force distribution & vehicle stability control)
They will all have the Limited Slip differential but the TRD Sport & Off-Road will add the Locking Rear Differential which will help get you out of "light off-roading" and they will have a beefier suspension.

In addition to the trim differences which are personal choice ( scoop hood, painted mirrors w/turn signals in the Sport & Skid plate, tow hook, flat black mirrors in the Off-Road) the TRD's add the 115V/400W bed outlet which could be convenient for camping.

The Tow package is optional on all levels

I owned a 2013 DCSB TRD Off-Road & never had an issue in snow or on ice. I did not take that one off road but felt that I could with no problem.

It all comes down to your comfort level. Www.edmunds.com is a great resource & will help you Build & price your Tacoma. Be aware that Toyota may not build it the same way you configured it. Good Luck & you'll LOVE your new Tacoma!

Thanks everyone. Looks like I will aim for TRD Sport with the Off Road as back up. Now a question about manual. I drive and prefer manuals vs standard but have never done off roading in one. Anyone here use a manual off road? Pros/cons?

If you can, definitely buy new. Due to the high resale value & low availability the used will cost just as much as new.

2wd vs 4wd: you'll have to decide your comfort level.

The Double Cab Short Bed (DCSB) will generally be avail in 3 configurations. SR5, TRD Sport & TRD Off-Road.
All 3 will have Toyota's STAR safety system (ABS, traction control, electronic brake assist, electronic brake force distribution & vehicle stability control)
They will all have the Limited Slip differential but the TRD Sport & Off-Road will add the Locking Rear Differential which will help get you out of "light off-roading" and they will have a beefier suspension.

In addition to the trim differences which are personal choice ( scoop hood, painted mirrors w/turn signals in the Sport & Skid plate, tow hook, flat black mirrors in the Off-Road) the TRD's add the 115V/400W bed outlet which could be convenient for camping.

The Tow package is optional on all levels

I owned a 2013 DCSB TRD Off-Road & never had an issue in snow or on ice. I did not take that one off road but felt that I could with no problem.

It all comes down to your comfort level. Www.edmunds.com is a great resource & will help you Build & price your Tacoma. Be aware that Toyota may not build it the same way you configured it. Good Luck & you'll LOVE your new Tacoma!

Only the TRD off road comes with the rear diff lock, and you can only use it in 4 lo, unless you do a small mod to the electrical side of it...

Another question to add: I was looking at a dealerships website today and they had 2 TRD Off-Road Tacoma's, meaning both had the "TRD Off Road" Logo on the back of the truck. One was more expensive and under packages the more expensive one listed TRD off road; the less expensive one did not list it.

If it says "TRD Off Road" on the back of the truck can I assume it has the TRD Off Road Package?

If say yes. Maybe the difference in prices are added features. If you want the best daily driver/ weekend warrior truck. The trd sport is the way to go, and I think we can all agree it looks the best too :)

Back