Looking to buy.. New vs. Used

Wyliee

Hey guys! I'm a newbie here at tacomafourm and was looking for a little bit of advise.

I have not personally owned a Tacoma, but I have had several friends who have owned Tacoma's. I'm in the market for my first Tacoma looking for something in the range of 2009-2015. However, I have done some research and a lot of the used price's are almost the same as buying new. So, my question for this topic is: Would it be better to buy New or Used?

I am looking to get the pro or sport model.

This will be a truck I will keep for a LONG while and will be somewhat of a project truck with various upgrades! Any and all advise/expertise is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Hey guys! I'm a newbie here at tacomafourm and was looking for a little bit of advise.

I have not personally owned a Tacoma, but I have had several friends who have owned Tacoma's. I'm in the market for my first Tacoma looking for something in the range of 2009-2015. However, I have done some research and a lot of the used price's are almost the same as buying new. So, my question for this topic is: Would it be better to buy New or Used?

I am looking to get the pro or sport model.

This will be a truck I will keep for a LONG while and will be somewhat of a project truck with various upgrades! Any and all advise/expertise is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Depends on what year you buy. The 2016 are getting ready to come out. If you buy a 2013 with low miles you might as well go new. That is if you like the new body style with the 16'. Just do your research. It could be a couple thousand difference between new and used. Better rate if you finance new vs used. Plus warranty.

Look at what you want for options. That will determine which way to go. Get online and compare each trim level. Keep us posted. Good luck

I'm a new Tacoma owner that bought a used 2014 with 20k miles. I went back and forth on the new versus used question. What did it for me is I was able to find a nice truck from a private party seller. That eliminated over $2k in sales tax. If I were to buy from a used dealer the used cost would have been awfully close to new. My advice is to buy new or try to score a well priced Tacoma from a private party seller and stay away from used at a dealership.

I'm a new Tacoma owner that bought a used 2014 with 20k miles. I went back and forth on the new versus used question. What did it for me is I was able to find a nice truck from a private party seller. That eliminated over $2k in sales tax. If I were to buy from a used dealer the used cost would have been awfully close to new. My advice is to buy new or try to score a well priced Tacoma from a private party seller and stay away from used at a dealership.
May I ask how much you bought it for? I have a 2014 with around the same mileage so just wondering.

I got mine for $27k. A similarly equipped 2015 would go for about $32k. With a 7.5% sales tax rate in my area the total cost for a new Tacoma would have been $34,400. I did not include title and license cost because that is required with private party sales too. I saved about $7k buying a private party used Tacoma. A dealership selling pre-owned Tacomas would have likely had a higher price and charged sales tax which would would put the used cost near the new cost. These Tacomas hold their value so well that buying new is most likely the way to go unless you can find a good deal on a private part truck.

I don't know what parts of the good ole USA you guys are from, but here in the Silicon Valley Bay Area, I just bought a '13 Double Cab TRD 4x4 with about 20K miles for 30K, I looked at similarly equipped '15's and they were all priced at least 35K on up before tax and license. I got it from a "certified" Toyota dealer with a 7 yr. 100K warranty.

Isn't sales tax needs to be paid at the time of registration @dmv when you buy from a private seller?they figure out the sales tax depending of the value

Back