Looking to purchase a TACOMA - need MPG, 4WD vs. RWD, ride, etc.

Landee

Hey, all you Tacoma owners - I'm looking to purchase my first Toyota and know they're great vehicles. However, I'm looking at the Tacoma. Once I started looking in more detail, there's a number of options and availability out there.

This will be a used vehicle purchase. Staying under $14K. All my years of living in WI and MN, I have never owned a 4WD vehicle and therefore, I'm needing opinions/help. I like the beefier, TRD Off-Road package. I also don't want rust. The purchase will also be the double cab.

While I would love a TUNDRA, I can't justify a big truck at this time in my life.

Questions:
  1. What kind of mileage do you 4WD owners get? City/HWY
  2. What kind of mileage do you RWD - TRD Off Road pkg drivers get? City/HWY
  3. How's the overall smoothness of the ride? Yes, I know it's a truck, but I need to ask?
  4. Any information you have to share on your experience with the TRD Off-Road package would be welcomed.
  5. Anyone ever purchased off of eBay?
That's it! Thanks a ton, Landee

Hey, all you Tacoma owners - I'm looking to purchase my first Toyota and know they're great vehicles. However, I'm looking at the Tacoma. Once I started looking in more detail, there's a number of options and availability out there.

This will be a used vehicle purchase. Staying under $14K. All my years of living in WI and MN, I have never owned a 4WD vehicle and therefore, I'm needing opinions/help. I like the beefier, TRD Off-Road package. I also don't want rust. The purchase will also be the double cab.

While I would love a TUNDRA, I can't justify a big truck at this time in my life.

Questions:
  1. What kind of mileage do you 4WD owners get? City/HWY
  2. What kind of mileage do you RWD - TRD Off Road pkg drivers get? City/HWY
  3. How's the overall smoothness of the ride? Yes, I know it's a truck, but I need to ask?
  4. Any information you have to share on your experience with the TRD Off-Road package would be welcomed.
  5. Anyone ever purchased off of eBay?
That's it! Thanks a ton, Landee
1. MPG will vary depending on tire size, altitude, driving habits. Most are probably around 16-17 mpg in town and 18-20 on hwy.
2. Maybe 1-2mpg better than above. Again driving conditions, modification and driving habits.
3. Stock suspension is ok. There are upgrades that will make it ride better.
4. TRD off-road package is basically cheap off-road suspension and a rear diff locker with some cosmetic differences.
5. Not a vehicle. Check cargurus, Craigslist and auto trader.
Welcome to the forum.

I bought a 2010 double cab TRD for 17,500 with 100k on it. I found it on Craigslist. It is my first 4X4 truck, and I love it. Only off roading so far was impressive, I climbed up muddy 50' piles of dirt at a mining operation, a car never would have made it up.
Speaking of rust, I think you need to check these Tacomas, there is a recall on some for rusted frames. The one I purchesd had the frame replaced in the past year under warranty. While they replaced that the owner had new shocks and springs put on.
I really like this truck, it handles very well in turns and has good acceleration. It actually has a pretty smooth ride considering it is 4wd. I love it!!

Back