Losing your key fob

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by mcklovin77, Mar 14, 2019.

1. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

dont ever lose your key fob, left mine at the hotel in orlando florida. today i will find out how expensive it is for a locksmith to program me a new fob. Toyota said it would be cheaper. TBC, lets see

texasred, Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Damn.. can the hotel mail it to you??

4. OP
    mcklovin77

Yes, but it doesnt help me from getting my truck from parking in st Louis and I dont want to rent a car and drive 280 miles back n forth each way to get my truck. Toyota said it probably will be 300$

5. kp.taco

For some reason I was picturing your truck to be at home.. damn what a PITA!

6. bjrjar

bjrjar New Member

The oneI had to buy for our Nissan Rogue SUV set me back about $200.00

Bob

texasred and Scott Wyman like this.
  7. dirtytaco

dirtytaco Well-Known Member

Land Rover dealership told us when we bought my wife’s rover the replacement fob for hers is $600. We purchased the insurance on them lol

8. OP
    mcklovin77

Locksmith told me between 250-350$ based on the Toyota models

OR17TRD, texasred and Scott Wyman like this.
  9. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Would the local Taco Dealer in St Louis have a fob in stock and could program it when you land????

10. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I'd grab a hotel in St. Louis and have the hotel in FL overnight it to me.

YEMX1988, OR17TRD, B-Man and 2 others like this.
  11. kp.taco

OR17TRD, B-Man and texasred like this.
  12. OP
    mcklovin77

Only if I tow the taco to the dealer and it will cost more add 150$ to the 300-350$. I'll wait for a locksmith. Tearing up some bandanas bbq till the locksmith shows up.

texasred and B-Man like this.
  13. OP
    mcklovin77

I tried calling the hotel 5 times and I just get the voicemail to housekeeping and maintenance. They've got plenty of voice mails and a email. They havnt called back yet.

B-Man and texasred like this.
  14. OP
    mcklovin77

Had to grab a hotel, lol. I got the key made and the computer reflashed and he found out he only had Prius fobs. I have to wait till Toyota opens tomarrow to get a right fob for the key. Lol Toyota changed everything in 2018, even for the 2017 models, each sr5 model uses a different fob, what's up with that toyota!

texasred and B-Man like this.
  15. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Hopefully they'll have the correct fob and get ya goin'!

mcklovin77 and texasred like this.
  16. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

That’s probably cheaper and more fun for the $$$

17. TacoWolfe

TacoWolfe Member

Really easy to program a new one. I got one from Amazon for $10 and it's just as good as the old one.

Scott Wyman, JASN and texasred like this.
  18. OP
    mcklovin77

How did you program a new fob? I didn't have a laptop to hook to the truck to reprogram the whole system. If it's just the fob it would've been 10$, but it was the key and fob, different story I think for 2017 and above.

Scott Wyman and texasred like this.
  19. Desert_Vet04

Desert_Vet04 New Member

I'd call the hotel reservations number you'll always get a person and they're usually helpful. Have the res clerk try to locate your fob and overnight it. My son works for the local Toyota dealer, and my 18 OR is around $500 for the fob plus labor to reprogram.

Scott Wyman and texasred like this.
  20. OP
    mcklovin77

Wow 500$, plus labor, wow! Toyota in st Louis only charges 300$ all together. My locksmith is only charging me 350$. Toyota told me it would've been cheaper with a locksmith instead of towing there and if I had to pay uber it would've cost the same. I'm just biting the bullet, it's just money(it comes and goes). No biggy. I've tried calling the hotel now 6 times since yesterday and still no response. I think the fob was stolen out of my room with my Cubs jacket. I never noticed my jacket was missing until I got to my airport terminal. The only thing the hotel front desk does is relay messages and housekeeping never answers the phone. Anyone going to Orlando, beware of red lion hotel if you get something stolen or left behind.

21. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

On my old B4000, I bought a fob on eBay and hung around the M*zda dealer for a couple of hours. Found a tech who programmed it on his lunch hour for $50.

B-Man and Scott Wyman like this.