Loss power

BDHEAVYD

Hello I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma prerunner crew cab 4x2 2.7L. It was cutting out and so I used sea foam ran it for about ten minutes rough, and then took the throttle body off and cleaned all the carbon build up and replaced the throttle body gasket when I reinstalled it. About a week later I was going down the interstate and I started hearing a hissing sound and then a pop at 65 mph. I then tracked down the sound to my egr vacuum modulator and then it blew out the hose from that to the egr valve. I then replaced the hose that blew. I then replaced the egr valve, egr vacuum modulator, egr valve switch, all the spark plugs, all ignition coil packs, throttle position sensor, and idle air control. After doing all that I have done I have no power, every time I go to accelerate it cuts out almost dies and bogs down, and it can't go up any type of incline. I'm at a loss of what to do! I hook it up to the code reader and it doesn't throw anything with it turned to acc not turned on. I turn it on and it throws a misfire cylinder 4. So I checked the gap and made sure the ignition coil pack was connected and everything is how it should be. I then cleared all the codes and it throws no codes again. I'm at a loss what to do.

Switch the number 4 coil pack to another cylinder. If it throws an error code on that cylinder the coil pack is bad. If that's the case I would change all the coils with Toyota parts. No secondary parts. Sounds like that cylinder is not firing causing low power. Fix asap raw gas is bad for the piston. Or with the engine running. Pull the connector off each coil pack one at a time. You should see the engine shudder and not idle well. If you disconnect a pack and nothing happen. That pack a probability bad and not working

Last edited:
Switch the number 4 coil pack to another cylinder. If it throws an error code on that cylinder the coil pack is bad. If that's the case I would change all the coils with Toyota parts. No secondary parts. Sounds like that cylinder is not firing causing low power. Fix asap raw gas is bad for the piston. Or with the engine running. Pull the connector off each coil pack one at a time. You should see the engine shudder and not idle well. If you disconnect a pack and nothing happen. That pack a probability bad and not working
+1 on the OEM coil packs. I know OEM parts are more expensive but I see more and more of these aftermarket parts that just aren't up to the job. If you ever need knock sensors don't even think about anything other than OEM Toyota.

Back