Mid-travel or upgrade shock

Discussion in '1995 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma' started by krt~fabs, Nov 21, 2017.

1. krt~fabs

krt~fabs New Member

Hey guys I love overlanding and want to upgrade my shocks to preform better on the dirt roads at high/low speeds but still be great on road too meaning that it is my daily driver. Should I go with the 2.5 mid travel kit with some upper control arms or the 2.0 after market coil overs. Also what brand do you recommend meaning I’m on somewhat of a budget.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Go 2.5. I highly suggest King.

OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.
  4. Tacomania

Tacomania Well-Known Member

Icon, they have a 20% discount on kits. IMO with icons you get the "best" of both worlds off and on imo. Not saying king and fox arent any good or considered one of the best. So it depends on what you want to use it for

Crawdad likes this.
  5. whippersnapper02

Problem with Icon is their weak top hats.

4wd likes this.
  6. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

He said budget tho :D

Id def go king and scratch the budget shit

4wd likes this.
  7. Bojangles

Call downsouth motorsports and see if they have any king deals not on the website. Or ask if they will be having any after turkeyday sales.

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  8. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

x2, I considered them suspect when I saw them, they're probably tearing metal / cracking around the studs ...

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  9. whippersnapper02

Good suspension never comes cheap. He can be on a budget but that budget better be at least 3K for coilovers and rear shocks.

Replacement shocks aren’t even mid travel. It’s stock travel or maybe extended travel with all that extra 7/8” you get from King and Fox.

OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.
  10. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

X2

11. Bojangles

12. Tacomania

Yes i have read that, but that happens when peeps desert race, which the kings and fox are better at.

13. Bojangles

Im not sure what that means.

Please splain like im a turded 5yr old about this desert vs.....not desert?

OR17TRD and 4wd like this.
  14. Tacomania

Neither do i . joking. So based on the comment that icons have weaker hats, and based on research i was doing i came across people talking about this specific topic. In conclusion to what i read was that individuals who broke their suspension were usually driving on sand at higher speeds, so they ended up breaking it. For the kings and fox they are designed for off-road racing so their durabilty in such situations is higher. Does that help in a nut shell? Pretty sure other will chime in. I personnally just got a stage 6 icon, as with icons i will get a better ride on the street vs the others and still get a really good ride off road.

15. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Truck goes bump bump bumpidy bump bump.

4wd and Bojangles like this.
  16. Bojangles

So, icons are weak.
    High speed dirt is high speed dirt isnt it?
    Megadeath would say so.

17. Bojangles

Cacurate af reply... bravo sir!

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  18. Tacomania

In that specific situation yes, so if thats what you intend to use the truck for, icons is not your option.

19. Bojangles

But i can do low speed jumping with icons just fine right?

OR17TRD and 4wd like this.
  20. Tacomania

Every kit has its pros and cons, you just have to find the best that fits your purpose and budget

4wd likes this.
  21. Tacomania

Yes, i also read they are good for rope jumping

4wd, OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.