Mods, Accessories, Info, How To

You mods look great! Just purchased a cert. used 2017 Tacoma SR5 4wd 3.5l V-6 (double cab) w/ 16k orig miles. How do you like that oil filter wrench?? I know you have to be careful with the plastic housings and some people swap them out for metal ones? I'm guess with the proper cap wrench and torque... you should be fine.

You mods look great! Just purchased a cert. used 2017 Tacoma SR5 4wd 3.5l V-6 (double cab) w/ 16k orig miles. How do you like that oil filter wrench?? I know you have to be careful with the plastic housings and some people swap them out for metal ones? I'm guess with the proper cap wrench and torque... you should be fine.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome back to the forum.

Just changed the oil, no issues with the wrench or new metal housing.
Just be sure to replace the o-ring around the housing, your filter should come with one.

Thanks for the reply Grey18Taco!! I purchased all the special tools, including the fitting and plastic hose to drain the filter canister. What oil 0w-20 oil did you add to your engine?? Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20??

Just got the lift kit in, hope to install this weekend if the weather plays nice.

Will do the work myself, hardest part looks to be cutting the retaining ring off the stock leaf.
Everything is still clean & newish so I shouldn’t have to deal with dirty, stuck, rusted stock hardware.

In all about $900+ with shipping.
OME 887 coils, Bilstein 5100 front & rear, Icon AAL, 1/4 spacer for the lean, diff drop spacer, 1” rear blocks (if needed or desired), longer U bolts.

All from Toyotec. If you opted to not get the blocks it saves a little $.

Looking at tires this weekend too. 285/75/17 on the stock rims.

I’ll post pics, measurements, and the effect on my MPG once I’m done.

Thanks for the reply Grey18Taco!! I purchased all the special tools, including the fitting and plastic hose to drain the filter canister. What oil 0w-20 oil did you add to your engine?? Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20??

Mobile 1.
I’ve used it for years in all my vehicles with no issues or let downs. It’s personal preference.

Awesome!! Good luck with that lift install!! Yes, Mobil 1 seems like the "favorite oil" with a good number of Tacoma owners.

No problems with Mobil 1 AFE. I used the 5w-20 weight in my 08 Honda Fit. In fact, I got over 40 mpg with Fit (lubed with this oil) on a 400 mile fishing trip to Ontario.

Any improvement in performance or mpgs in the newer Tacomas??

Just used some of this yesterday myself. Was on sale for $22.?? for the 5qt jug and $5.79 for the extra qt. Got all the Amsoil stuff for the diffs, trans and transfer case, waiting on all the plug gaskets to here here from Amazon... View attachment 23791

That’s a pretty good price for the 5 quart jug, I try not to purchase mine at your automotive stores as they jack up the price. On a sidenote the only downside I had at one point was that somebody had change their oil, put the used oil back in the jug, and then returned it to the store and the customer service person never opened it to verify the foil seal was still intact. So now I’ve deliberately check to make sure that the seal is intact every time.

I want to change out my trans fluid, but I haven’t done any homework on it yet as far as fluid type. Originally I was thinking royal purple, but I don’t know if that’s applicable for Toyota transmissions.

That’s a pretty good price for the 5 quart jug, I try not to purchase mine at your automotive stores as they jack up the price. On a sidenote the only downside I had at one point was that somebody had change their oil, put the used oil back in the jug, and then returned it to the store and the customer service person never opened it to verify the foil seal was still intact. So now I’ve deliberately check to make sure that the seal is intact every time.

I want to change out my trans fluid, but I haven’t done any homework on it yet as far as fluid type. Originally I was thinking royal purple, but I don’t know if that’s applicable for Toyota transmissions.

Wow!! That's a scumbag move returning your used oil to the store. Walmart has Mobil 1 AFE and Castrol Edge for around 27 bucks. You can Pennzoil and Valvoline for around 22 bucks and Quaker State UD Syn for 20 bucks. Supertech Syn (Warren Dist) for 16 bucks...

No problems with Mobil 1 AFE. I used the 5w-20 weight in my 08 Honda Fit. In fact, I got over 40 mpg with Fit (lubed with this oil) on a 400 mile fishing trip to Ontario.

Any improvement in performance or mpgs in the newer Tacomas??

I use mine as a daily driver, about 30 miles one way to work on the freeway, usually running between 70 and 80 miles an hour. I average about 20.5 miles per gallon.
After the oil change & about 500 miles, I noticed that the engine seems to ride smoother and my miles per gallon went up and hover around 21-21.5.

Toyota says 75w85 but 75w90 is the more common. I chose Amsoil severe gear for the diffs and Amsoil manual trans and transaxle for the transmission and transfer. Toyota also says straight 75 for the transfer but its getting 75w90 as well.

I notice a between .5 and 1 mpg gain using Mobil 1 AFE 5w-20 in my Honda Fit. Glad to here it's doing the same in Grey18Taco's Tacoma!

Toyota says 75w85 but 75w90 is the more common. I chose Amsoil severe gear for the diffs and Amsoil manual trans and transaxle for the transmission and transfer. Toyota also says straight 75 for the transfer but its getting 75w90 as well.

I heard lots of good stuff about Amsoil. However, I was looking for oils that I can access easily from local stores and want to use the same oil over time.

I use mine as a daily driver, about 30 miles one way to work on the freeway, usually running between 70 and 80 miles an hour. I average about 20.5 miles per gallon.
After the oil change & about 500 miles, I noticed that the engine seems to ride smoother and my miles per gallon went up and hover around 21-21.5.

Same here with my Tacoma. I drive 30 miles to work everyday (mixed highway/city) and I tow a 1500lb 400 miles North to White Lake, Ontario. So... my truck is not a "Garage Queen". Might just used the Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 during most of the year. During the winter months use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20. That way, I do not have to craw around the garage floor during winter time. Mobil 1 can always be had at Walmart, local auto parts store and Amazon.

If I was going to change my own oil id use either m1 afe0/20 or m1 ep 0/20, however I'm thinking I'll just take mine back to the dealer and have it done with toyota 0/20. According to PQIA testing the toyota oil has a lot more moly in it than the m1 does. Besides I'll get my tires rotated at the same time.

Back