Mystery sound

LIazard

Attached is a recording of a strange whistling sound my 2017 Access Cab 4 cyl auto trans makes when accelerating as it shifts into 3d or 4th (30-40 mph), only when the A/C is on.

The recording is a bunch of different occurances clipped together - it doesn't happen continuously, usually just once per acceleration. Seems to come from the under dash or floor area in front of the passenger seat.

Has happened since it was new, and a number of dealership "solutions" have not worked. Dealerships have done two fixes to the A/C (one was a recall), then most recently some holes that were missing plugs were replaced. Still making this annoying sound. Really sounds like something straining as the truck shifts.

Main concern however it that it signals something that might go really wrong (like, with the transmission) after the warranty runs out.

Does it sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas?

Attachments

• Tacoma sound.zip
    345.7 KB · Views: 13
It's an .mp3 recording of the sound, zipped to comply with forum criteria. Scan it with your security software before opening if you have concerns.

Attached is a recording of a strange whistling sound my 2017 Access Cab 4 cyl auto trans makes when accelerating as it shifts into 3d or 4th (30-40 mph), only when the A/C is on.

The recording is a bunch of different occurances clipped together - it doesn't happen continuously, usually just once per acceleration. Seems to come from the under dash or floor area in front of the passenger seat.

Has happened since it was new, and a number of dealership "solutions" have not worked. Dealerships have done two fixes to the A/C (one was a recall), then most recently some holes that were missing plugs were replaced. Still making this annoying sound. Really sounds like something straining as the truck shifts.

Main concern however it that it signals something that might go really wrong (like, with the transmission) after the warranty runs out.

Does it sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas?
Sounds like your taco is haunted! I have no idea what that would be. Do you feel any vibrations or anything like that? I would take it back to the dealership and have whoever mechanic sit with you while this happens

Tried that (mechanic thing) several times. Doesn't always happen. The last one heard it and installed the plugs, no effect.

Hey can you confirm my file did not blow up your computer? :) Trying to get a lot more people to listen in case someone else has had the same problem.

I didnt open it on my computer[emoji102] i had to use encrypted coding and download it on a seperate server then transfer it on my boss's phone[emoji23] .
Joking i opened it on an iphone

Back