New help with new wheels / tires

Jack Straw

Edit - the title should say Need help, not new help but I can’t figure out how to edit the title:oops:
Hey all! I’ve been lurking for a little bit now coveting some of the rigs I see here and I’d like some info / advice / insight regarding getting new wheels and tires. Any feedback is appreciated:
I have a 2015 white TRD Sport 4x4 and she’s ready for new tires. The current tires are 265/65/17, Michelin road tires but I’d like get some ATs at least one size bigger. The guy at the local Les Schwab says I can go up to 265/70R/17. This will require a front leveling kit and possibly some minor plastic trimming - does that sound right?
At that size will there be much difference in handling and looks?
Does increasing the tire size affect the longevity of the truck ie strain the engine or transmission and shortening their lifespan?
99.5% of my driving is road but I would like to hit some fire/service roads - nothing crazy, just get the wife and dogs out of the city limits on some weekends.
I’d also like to get some black or bronze wheels: those will run up to $800. I know $800 is nothing for some of the upgrades you can get but it’s nothing to sneeze at and for $800 I can get a new .45XD or a generator. So my question here is do nicer wheels help any with future resale value? Also, is there any demand for my existing 6 spoke wheels on Craigslist and what’s a fair price?
And last...should I stick with the current size 17” rims or get 16” rims?
Ultimately I’d like the truck to look a little more muscular and have a little better off road capability without affecting the lifespan and handling while keeping the price below $2500 (even less than that would be great).
Thanks again for your help!

265/70/17 tires on stock wheels already fit on a stock truck.

No worries on any issues with just a small tire and/or wheel change. Mileage may go down depending on the type of tire.

265/70/17 tires on stock wheels already fit on a stock truck.

No worries on any issues with just a small tire and/or wheel change. Mileage may go down depending on the type of tire.
Thanks whipper. So need for a leveling kit, other than for looks? I’m not real concerned about gas mileage.

Edit - the title should say Need help, not new help but I can’t figure out how to edit the title:oops:
Hey all! I’ve been lurking for a little bit now coveting some of the rigs I see here and I’d like some info / advice / insight regarding getting new wheels and tires. Any feedback is appreciated:
I have a 2015 white TRD Sport 4x4 and she’s ready for new tires. The current tires are 265/65/17, Michelin road tires but I’d like get some ATs at least one size bigger. The guy at the local Les Schwab says I can go up to 265/70R/17. This will require a front leveling kit and possibly some minor plastic trimming - does that sound right?
At that size will there be much difference in handling and looks?
Does increasing the tire size affect the longevity of the truck ie strain the engine or transmission and shortening their lifespan?
99.5% of my driving is road but I would like to hit some fire/service roads - nothing crazy, just get the wife and dogs out of the city limits on some weekends.
I’d also like to get some black or bronze wheels: those will run up to $800. I know $800 is nothing for some of the upgrades you can get but it’s nothing to sneeze at and for $800 I can get a new .45XD or a generator. So my question here is do nicer wheels help any with future resale value? Also, is there any demand for my existing 6 spoke wheels on Craigslist and what’s a fair price?
And last...should I stick with the current size 17” rims or get 16” rims?
Ultimately I’d like the truck to look a little more muscular and have a little better off road capability without affecting the lifespan and handling while keeping the price below $2500 (even less than that would be great).
Thanks again for your help!
You can get knockoff bronze 4runner pro wheels 16x8” for about $550 with a 0 offset or the mat black 17x8 +5 offset for $640 put 265/75/16 on and you wouldn’t have to lift it. The 0 offset would allow you to run 285’s with a 2.5-3” lift.
If you wanted to for less than $400 you can get bilstein 5100’s and bring the front up a inch and fit 275/70/16 tires on it but you may have rubbing and your mpg will go down. Really shouldn’t have any extra wear and tear on the vehicle.
So for $1000 you can level and put wheels bronze TRD wheels on it and you’d have $1000 for tires and be at $2000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Satin-B...yota-Tundra-17x8-Tacoma-Rims-FJ-/152664923250

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-WHEELS...RONZE-FOR-TOYOTA-4RUNNER-TACOMA-/263923479011

https://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-...28.html#!year=2018||make=TOYOTA||model=TACOMA

Back