new member , engine light question

Greg31

Hi ,
new member , I have a 2008 regular cab about 130,000 trouble free miles.
Engine light comes on , Autozone printout says " P0031 H02S heater control circuit low (bank 1 , sensor 1 ) .
They said it needs an 02 sensor , any suggestions ? can I replace this myself ?
is it a PITA to do ?

thanks , Greg 08 Tacoma

Hi ,
new member , I have a 2008 regular cab about 130,000 trouble free miles.
Engine light comes on , Autozone printout says " P0031 H02S heater control circuit low (bank 1 , sensor 1 ) .
They said it needs an 02 sensor , any suggestions ? can I replace this myself ?
is it a PITA to do ?

thanks , Greg 08 Tacoma
Sounds like a piece of cake to me, but im assuming. Sorry i have a v6.

Actually, id replace both just in case. U have an upstream and downstream i believe

All are located before or after the cat on the exhaust pipe.

Bank 1 is the side of the engine that #1 cylinder is on. Sensor 1 is before (forward of) the cat. Sensor 2 is behind the cat. If #1 sensor is throwing a code, #2 will soon attend it's funeral. Change both.

Some change them hot, some change them cold. I've always had luck changing them cold or just warm to the touch. MOST are 13/16 hex. Special sensor sockets with the side milled out are sold to remove them. A good box wrench will work if you take your time. All are right hand thread.

All are located before or after the cat on the exhaust pipe.

Bank 1 is the side of the engine that #1 cylinder is on. Sensor 1 is before (forward of) the cat. Sensor 2 is behind the cat. If #1 sensor is throwing a code, #2 will soon attend it's funeral. Change both.

Some change them hot, some change them cold. I've always had luck changing them cold or just warm to the touch. MOST are 13/16 hex. Special sensor sockets with the side milled out are sold to remove them. A good box wrench will work if you take your time. All are right hand thread.

Thank you for the help , any chance you have photos of the procedure ?

Your local auto parts store may have the socket to loan to. Check Autozone and if you have one O'Reiley. Both ours have tool loaner programs.

Back