No clue what it could be???

thundercraw

I have an 09 prerunner with the 4.0 engine (97,000 miles) and every now and then when the engine is still relatively cool, when I come to a stop something shifts down or sets into place in the rear end and almost feels like someone tapped my rear bumper. It only does this when i haven’t been driving for a while, is this normal or is it something that needs to be inspected

Does it tend to happen with the ac on, or defroster on as well?
Worse when coming to a hard stop?

Automatic?
Has the trans ever been serviced? Many are factory underfilled.

Whats your skill level?

Suspension stock?

Stock suspension, recently got leaf springs replaced on recall, skill level...blind man playing eye spy, trans has not been serviced since I bought it two years ago from dealership(had 74,000 miles, has 97,000 now), I’m usually running my defrost this time of year, haven’t noticed if it differs between normal and hard stops

Stock suspension, recently got leaf springs replaced on recall, skill level...blind man playing eye spy, trans has not been serviced since I bought it two years ago from dealership(had 74,000 miles, has 97,000 now), I’m usually running my defrost this time of year, haven’t noticed if it differs between normal and hard stops
First stop, get under the truck and tighten the u bolts on the rear axle/leafpack to 85ft lbs. Factory service manual iirc states 35ft lbs and is not tight enough.

This may NOT fix the issue, but should be checked REGARDLESS.

I’ve had it for two years and for as long as i can remember it has, no driving issues though
Sounds like axshole wrap
581C09F6-11F9-4C1A-9EE0-E44B9CDC6CC9.jpeg
It’s this ^ happening and then you feel the spring pop the axel back into place. Feels like a bump after you stop. I found braking harder and holding the brake after I stop makes it worse. If I ease into the stop it doesn’t happen as bad or at all. Lots of talk about it in many threads on here.
@kp.taco wife called it asshole wrap so I started calling it axshole wrap.

Back