Oil filter cap assembly up grade

OR17TRD

I was looking into upgrading to an aluminum oil filter cap assembly. Has anyone installed one of these?
I don't know why toyota uses cheap plastic from factory. I used an aftermarket dorman on my 2007 tundra but it didn't fit right and leaked some. I was wondering when toyota was going to step up and make an OEM metal one.
Well looks like Toyota finally made one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008BHP68A/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1N5C1IZJU9LZZ&psc=1

It's not an oil cap. It's the housing for the oil filter. The factory one is plastic and is easliy broke. Very cheap. Let me know when you start changing your own oil and the cheap plastic factory one breaks and you are stuck trying to figure out what to do. This will be your fix.

IMG_1444.JPG
It's an oil cap, is it really worth it? Am I missing something, does an oil cap really make the difference?
I know you have a 2009 and it's got an old school oil filter. These new vehicles have a housing that holds the oils filter. You have to remover that housing which is plastic and cheap to access the filter. This up grade is for 2016/2017/2018 model tacomas. Something you won't have to worry about until you get a new truck. :)

I haven't heard of anyone breaking them yet. Someone will torque it down a ton then blame the housing.
If they didn't break toyota would not have made an aluminum housing to replace the plastic one from factory. Other companies like dorman wouldn't have made them. There would have been no demand for supply.
Those who have a jiffy lube or oil can Henry's change their oil will have more issues with over torquing Im sure.
I know after almost 140k miles and 20+ oil changes on my tundra the plastic one broke and I was stuck until I found another one. At the time toyota did not have an alternative option.
I've heard of them breaking on first oil change. I've heard of dealers breaking them. Mine broke. They do break and if and when they do I'm just trying to provide information and a fix.
Personally I like preventative action. If I can do something to save myself a headache later it's worth it.

Last edited:
If they didn't break toyota would not have made an aluminum housing to replace the plastic one from factory. Other companies like dorman wouldn't have made them. There would have been no demand for supply.
Those who have a jiffy lube or oil can Henry's change there oil will have more issues with over torquing Im sure.
I know after almost 140k miles and 20+ oil changes on my tundra the plastic one broke and I was stuck until I found another one. At the time toyota did not have an alternative option.
I've heard of them breaking on first oil change. I've heard of dealers breaking them. Mine broke. They do break and if and when they do I'm just trying to provide information and a fix.
Personally I like preventative action. If I can do something to save myself a headache later it's worth it.

I think the more expensive units are for more expensive vehicles from Toyota.

I'd probably get it too.

View attachment 11494
I know you have a 2009 and it's got an old school oil filter. These new vehicles have a housing that holds the oils filter. You have to remover that housing which is plastic and cheap to access the filter. This up grade is for 2016/2017/2018 model tacomas. Something you won't have to worry about until you get a new truck. :)
Ah that makes more sense, well can't say I've had that issue haha

plastic is good stuff. half of my guns are plastic. there is a lot of fail potential with all of those threads when they are made out of aluminum because they can gall and get siezed up, then you are really screwed. ''plastic is cheap'' is like ''mim'' is cheap, cast is cheap, any 1911 not made by colt is cheap, etc.

lf l borke a 20.00 cap, l'd just get another one. aftermarket stuff can suck big time, the one you posted, genuine toyota, looks like it's plastic. me, l'd go with factory than some dorman crap that could puke your whole motor and leave you without a warranty. and who changes their own oil when the dealer will do it for 5 bucks more than you can anyway

I agree aftermarket can suck big time. This is not aftermarket. It's made by toyota. It's $20 for the one that will out last the plastic. Here is a picture of them side by side. I hope you can tell which one is plastic. Both made by toyota. image1.JPG I'm sure the parts that matter on all of those guns you own is not plastic. Sure the stock, grip and a few other parts are but I guarantee the chamber, firing pin and barel are all metal.
I am not recommending a dorman aftermarket part, I said I had one and it leaked, it sucked, it was crap. I wouldn't recommmend one.
The one I posted its a genuine OEM made by toyota aluminum oil filter assembly. The picture I posted earlier is the actual factory plastic assembly. It was only to show 858tacomaguy these new trucks have an oil filter inside a housing. I didn't post a picture of the aluminum one. Until now.
As far as only costing $5 more to have the dealer change your oil I bet they are not using synthetic for that price and most likely not replacing the oil filter. They will charge you for it but not do it. Doing it yourself you know it was done right and everything was replaced.

Last edited:
any 1911 not made by colt is cheap
Browning made the original platform in 1911 and colt manufactured and perfected it. That said many other manufactures over the last 106 years have done a good job perfecting it as well. Springfield makes a 1911 Cylinder & Slide that is a very well made 1911. I would have to disagree that "any" 1911 that's not colt is cheap. Rock Island makes a solid 1911 and so does Kimber. They also all make cheap 1911's even colt. I agree colt did it right and was the first. They made something that really hasn't changed or needed to be changed. I get what you're saying.:)

I agree aftermarket can suck big time. This is not aftermarket. It's made by toyota. It's $20 for the one that will out last the plastic. Here is a picture of them side by side. I hope you can tell which one is plastic. Both made by toyota. View attachment 11498 I'm sure the parts that matter on all of those guns you own is not plastic. Sure the stock, grip and a few other parts are but I guarantee the chamber, firing pin and barel are all metal.
I am not recommending a dorman aftermarket part, I said I had one and it leaked, it sucked, it was crap. I wouldn't recommmend one.
The one I posted its a genuine OEM made by toyota aluminum oil filter assembly. The picture I posted earlier is the actual factory plastic assembly. It was only to show 858tacomaguy these new trucks have an oil filter inside a housing. I didn't post a picture of the aluminum one. Until now.
As far as only costing $5 more to have the dealer change your oil I bet they are not using synthetic for that price and most likely not replacing the oil filter. They will charge you for it but not do it. Doing it yourself you know it was done right and everything was replaced.

I'd be fine with either factory toyo part.

As far as dealer oil changes, I don't know what oil they use and I doubt the tech is in on some conspiracy with the owner of the dealership to lie about changing the filter since the kickback he would get would would only be a percentage of the wholsale cost of the filter. I could care less about which oil they use, changing oil is over rated. People think spending money on synthetic oil and then changing it twice as often as they are supposed to is going to some how protect their investment. Good for them, me, I'll let the dealer use whatever oil toyo authorizes them to use and I'll cring their coffee and play solitare on my phone while they do it because with the coupon they send me it only costs 5 bucks more than going to the store, buying the filter and oil, and that doesn't count the time to change it, the spills on the driveway, and then having to bring a leaky, oily, jug of used oil to someplace to dispose of it. I cut my own hair because it is easier than going to the barber and l have the dealer change my oil because it is easier and, in the long run, cheaper, than doing it myself.

As far as the plastic in guns, actually the frame is plastic and it is a critical part of the gun. The frame of a gun is under much more stress than the filter houseing, which is just a container.

Browning made the original platform in 1911 and colt manufactured and perfected it. That said many other manufactures over the last 106 years have done a good job perfecting it as well. Springfield makes a 1911 Cylinder & Slide that is a very well made 1911. I would have to disagree that "any" 1911 that's not colt is cheap. Rock Island makes a solid 1911 and so does Kimber. They also all make cheap 1911's even colt. I agree colt did it right and was the first. They made something that really hasn't changed or needed to be changed. I get what you're saying.:)

You misunderstood me, I was mocking those who say only Colt can make a real 1911 for all the reasons you posted.

You misunderstood me, I was mocking those who say only Colt can make a real 1911 for all the reasons you posted.
Yes you would be fine with either because they are both a factory toyota part that's all I was saying. I was happy to see they finally made one that was not plastic and all I wanted to do was share it with others.
If the plastic one breaks buy this one. "Maybe" buy it and have it on hand in case the plastic one breaks. It sucks to be scrambling to get a new one. I know this first hand!
No, I completely understood you on the gun remark. I agreed with you but your point was invalid. There are lots of other 1911's that are great. I love my 2nd amendment!
I'm happy you cut your own hair. I'm sure it looks amazing.
Never said the tech changing your oil is in conspiracy with the dealer. Honestly... How many times have you cut corners in your job to save time. All I'm saying is they do it, it happens. A tech is hung over, fighting with his old lady, mom died or what ever and no one is looking, no one cares and he doesn't change the filter because it's not his truck. It's yours. While you are sitting in the lobby drinking their coffee playing solitaire he's not changing your filter.
As far as oil changes I use synthetic and change it every 10k+ Because I don't like sitting in their lobby drinking their ****ty coffee playing solitar. It cost me less than $50 takes me 30 min to do it myself once a year. I'm ok with that.
Back to the filter assembly. It's a good product. Toyota finally made one. I wanted to share it with others.

Looks like the filter housing off my 2007 Lexus...not sure if it's the same part, but worth looking in a junk yard.

Looks like the filter housing off my 2007 Lexus...not sure if it's the same part, but worth looking in a junk yard.
Toyota has been putting these on their vehicles for over a decade. Highlander, tundra, Camry, Avalon, Rav 4, the new Tacoma lots of the Lexus cars all use the same asssymbly.
If you can find a used aluminum one off a Lexus in a junk yard for a great price and it works, do it.
They are new for $21 on amazon shipped to your door.

I just changed mine to the aluminum one this last weekend and The plastic one I could barely get off from the dealership.
I got mine for $18 free shipping no tax.
I want to keep my truck for at least 15 years I hope and I don't ever want to have to deal with a broken cap on a $40,000 truck.

My oil change is around $30 I think the dealer wants 70 no five bucks there. it paid for it On my first oil change.
If you're only going to keep your truck 5 to 7 years and only put 100,000 on it or so then don't worry about it move on and learn something new somewhere else.
I drove my Dodge Intrepid for 18 years and 200,000 miles.
this truck damn well better last longer than that car.

Back