Opinion: New engine or sell

peedeeyota

Hey everyone, wanted to get some opinions on what to do with my truck if you were in my shoes. I have a 2000 Tacoma 2.7 4x4 with 180000 miles. It's been a great truck and is in decent shape, but I've had some trouble lately. I had the head rebuilt in December due to a couple burnt exhaust valves from a neglected leaking exhaust manifold. Got it back together ran great until 2 weeks ago when I got a knocking noise. We tore it down and found the rod bearing had spun.

I'm now thinking about turning the crank and fixing the problem and then selling the truck and getting into something knew, but really dont want the payment that comes along with that option.

Other option, buy a brand new engine straight from my local toyota dealer for $2100 plus tax. I have the 5spd so im not too worried bout the tranny and everything else seems fine.

What would you do? Cut your losses and get something newer, or stick with the old truck and put a new motor in?

Opinions appreciated!

If you think the problems will be gone for a bit over $2k, fix it and keep it. But if you're thinking about getting into a newer truck, I would be the last to stop you

Dude a brand new engine from the dealer at that price?? You can't go wrong there. Buy that new engine and take care of it like its your baby. Do your oil changes early and with high quality oil, use OEM filters, and i gaurentee your truck will last another 400k if not forever. I asked my local dealer how much my new engine would cost, and he said 5k!! But I have the 4.0, but my engine works great, I just asked him how much it woulda costs if I needed one. But yeah i wouldn't sell your truck, the new 2016s aren't that nice and I don't like the new 3.5's, I feel like they just aren't as bulletproof as the 4.0 or the older 3.5's. Too fancy for me with the crawl control and ****. Your truck is worth it. Keep it. This is only my opinion of corse. ;)

Dont buy a new motor, waste of money. I'd get a good used motor with low miles in good condition for a lot cheaper.

Back