Paint peeling off 2017 Tacoma

helitaco

Anyone else paint chipping off on there 2017 white Tacoma? Mine is chipping on both rear doors.Toyota said it’s a known problem and they are trying to get it approved to get it fixed..... could take up to a YEAR to get approvedIMG_1577768991.830157.jpg! IMG_1577768925.728522.jpgIMG_1577768953.651700.jpg

I have not noticed this on my silver 2017 Tacoma SR5. Maybe just an issue with white paint or just a few trucks?

it has a 5yr warranty on the paint (something liker that) so they have to fix it

Know issue on white trucks and always the same location. Don’t remember what caused it but people are reporting that Toyota is fixing them.

If you haven't done so already, check your warranty booklet for this from the 2020 warranty & maintenance guide downloaded from Toyota's website:

If your concern has still not been resolved
to your satisfaction, Toyota offers
additional assistance through the Dispute
Settlement Program, a dispute resolution
program administered by the National
Center for Dispute Settlement. The
purpose of the Dispute Settlement
Program is to resolve disputes through
arbitration — a process by which two
parties authorize an independent third
party to hear and resolve a dispute. The
program is informal and free of charge.
To request that your case be reviewed
through the program, complete the
customer claim form in the Owner’s
Warranty Rights Notification booklet
(found in your glove box) and mail it to:
National Center for Dispute Settlement
P.O. Box 688
Mt. Clemens, MI 48046
To initiate arbitration, you must complete
an NCDS customer claim form and mail it
to NCDS. To request a form, call NCDS
at (800) 777-8119 or obtain a copy at
www.ncdsusa.org. When you call,
please have your vehicle identification
number, the current mileage on your
Toyota and the names of your selling and
servicing dealerships.

I just saw your post. I had this issue a little over a year ago. I have the 2017 White Tacoma as well and the paint chipping is in the same spot as yours. I had it fixed by Toyota. About a week ago I noticed the paint bubbling in that same area again. I checked but I just don’t see any water issues that may be causing this.

Attachments

• 3E6FC14A-A08E-4CCB-9120-9EF5CD87BDC8.jpeg
    3E6FC14A-A08E-4CCB-9120-9EF5CD87BDC8.jpeg
    993.2 KB · Views: 32
White is always notorious for peeling. From my experience, white paints tend to be thinner than other colors. And its peeling there by the doors because the paint is thinner on all surfaces that arent parallel to the overall body lines. The paint guns dont adjust to the angles and edges, allowing less paint and clear coat buildup in those areas. Also, could be a reaction between the sealer and white paint.

I just saw your post. I had this issue a little over a year ago. I have the 2017 White Tacoma as well and the paint chipping is in the same spot as yours. I had it fixed by Toyota. About a week ago I noticed the paint bubbling in that same area again. I checked but I just don’t see any water issues that may be causing this.
If it bubbled up before and after they repaired it, I'd bet it was a chemical reaction from the E-primer and sealer.

White is always notorious for peeling. From my experience, white paints tend to be thinner than other colors. And its peeling there by the doors because the paint is thinner on all surfaces that arent parallel to the overall body lines. The paint guns dont adjust to the angles and edges, allowing less paint and clear coat buildup in those areas. Also, could be a reaction between the sealer and white paint.
I think its’s bonding issue which is why it seems to be flaking off. The first time around for me that’s what was happening. I just think it’s weird that this second time around it’s bubbling up in the same area after it was repainted over a year ago which made me think there was maybe a pin hole size opening where maybe water was getting in but I didn’t seem to see anything like that after I checked.
The paint is definitely thin, I think my paint was at about 2.5-3 mils.

Yea. It should be 5-7 mils thick. The bubbling also could be where the body shop rushed the job, and didn't let the primer or sealant cure before putting color down. Solvent gas has to go somewhere. Either way, it should be under warranty from the shop, depending on how long been.

Back