Painting a tonneau with bed liner

Jackscon

I have been looking at used tonneaus and caps on CL obviously most due not match. Was thinking of plastidip or bedliner to cover in black.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't plasti dip it if I were you, bed covers get alot of use/ could easily get scratched. I guess you could spray it with bed liner, but your best option would be to just get it painted

I wouldn't use Plasti-dip for that, you will see scratches. You could go either way with the bed liner or fiberglass paint, both have about the same prepwork and and application and probably cost about the same. I would go with the fiberglass paint over the bedliner...just for looks.

Cost a bit more; however, this is a turn-key suggestion...

Shortly after I got my Tacoma I stopped by a truck parts specialty shop to inquire what they had for bed covers that also locks the tailgate when closed. The salesmen happen to have a Undercover SE the same color as mine on his Tacoma and gave me a quote for $1,250 painted and installed. So I went to the Undercover web site to look for more http://www.undercoverinfo.com/ dealers in my area to get additional quotes. The best price I found $1,000 for the cover with paint and $50 installed plus tax. I have the 5 foot bed so longer beds may cost a little bit more.

My understanding some Tacoma's comes with bed rails and some do not. So when ordering you will need to tell them with or without so you get the right hardware for the install.

However, you may be able to direct order one instead of going through a dealer and install it yourself. Try this site out http://www.undercovertonneaucovers.com/Smooth-Undercover-Tacoma-Tonneau-Cover-p/ucses-tacoma.htm

You paint code should be in the driver's side door jam (See Picture). Right below the bar code you will see C/TR which the 1E7 is the exterior paint color and FL13 in the interior trim color for my Tacoma. Since mine is a 2013 model year not sure if this sticker applies to earlier year models in the same location.

Attachments

• Paint Code.jpg
    Paint Code.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 32
  • backprofile.jpg
    backprofile.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 32
Back